Options

Taking Security+ This Friday - Update - I Passed!

Tech109Tech109 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok, I think I'm prepared....have taken a semester class and got an A...have gone through numerous practice test questions and repeated...pretty good on applicable port numbers and encryption types (TRIAD, REED, etc)...doing well on the practice tests on this website and on free-tests.com.

A couple of questions:

1. For those of you who have taken Network+, is Security+ any more difficult? I didn't have much confidence going into Network+, but passed easily with a very good score (that was over two years ago).

2. Many people here recommend the Sybex book. I looked at the first chapter online, and it actually seemed to have much less detail than what I expected. Does it really cover all the objectives well?

Thanks for any input in advance!

Comments

• Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In my opinion the Security+ is more difficult that Network+. The passing score is higher and when I took the exam the questions where more poorly worded compared to Network+. When I studied for the exam I used both the Sybex and Syngress books. Don't forget to check the technotes from this site as well.

http://www.techexams.net/co_securityplus.shtml
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Network+ is an entry level cert whereas Security+ is aimed at the tech with 2 years of security experience. Yes, Security+ is tougher. Sybex is good as is Syngress (except the DVD). ExamCram is good for quick study after you have gotten the concepts down. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    this test is def more difficult than network+. I read the Sybex and the Mike Meyers Passport, and did some practice tests. I'm sure you'll be fine.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Tech109Tech109 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ...I got an 863!

Let me say, however, that this test was difficult...the wording on many of the questions was unlike anything I saw on practice exams, and I felt sure I was going to fail until the final results came up on the screen!

There were a lot of "Choose the BEST.." questions, and procedure things such as "What would be the first thing to do..." So it was not simply a matter of knowing the various factoids and concepts, but having an idea of how to apply them in various scenarios.

icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    spree610spree610 Member Posts: 57 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats
    "The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing just what it is that I do."

Next stop 70-291, 70-648, 70-646
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats icon_cool.gif
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats, good score! :D
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    crivera251crivera251 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    how many questions on the test?
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    blurpleblurple Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass im thinking of taking this cert..