Options

What Kind of Devices and IOS needed for 640-802?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey CCNA gurus and CCNPs

does anyone know where I can find what IOS and what devices I need to buy for my home lab.

I have already:

1 2511 acces router which i love!
4 2500 series routers 150.00 each
2 1900 switches 100.00 each
1 2924 cat switch 175.00
1 2950 cat switch 300.00 ouch!

what else will i need.

i have a switch i used and have configured as a frame-relay switch (cloud)
works great. use thebryantadvantage.com chris bryant as my mentor.
awesome guy and awesome training .

help thanks.
i have read the cisco site on how RIP v2 will be cover only (finally) and not Ripv1.
but what devices will I truely need to get some hands on help.

thank guys!

Robert :D

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I am certainly no cisco guru or officionado, but the advice that I have seen so far is that IOS v 12.4 is covered and the 2950 switch will fill the bill quite well. Someone wrote that the 2500 series routers will work.

I will be watching your post to see what some of the real Cisco gurus might have to say. I just learned in the last 3 days what you do with all of these cables!

This is a welcome rest from PCs and Microsoft, but right now I enjoy watching all of the little lights blinking on my home-side setup while I get started on the Bryant Advantage track.

Good luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    yeah, chris bryant is awesome! great price and he is a great person.

his subnetting program will blowyou away. once you are done with subnetting
    you will think why did i make this so hard ? haah serious

check my home lab out. I just got my pix but i will be updating it soon.
    so maybe if anyoneneeds help never hesitate to email me at

robert@itdaddy.net
    itdaddy@solarus.biz

anyone will get to me and you can ask me anything
    i run an access routuer which is a must for an cool home lab.
    i subscribe to the 5 router lab and 2 switches that bryant suggests.
    i use a frame-relay switch which i setup with the help of bryants configs
    check this out. check my blog out. i have to spell it out
    cause this forum doesnt allow the blog site

http:// itdaddy (dot) blogs (no space) pot (dot) com

thanks for tips
    i wonder if any wifi device do i need? and ssh server for an cisco
    image. I know that i do not have ssh server install on my cisco images
    so that might be key as well
    oh yeahm my pix has ssh i believe got it off of ebay brand new 501 pix
    for under 200.00 bills sick huh
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    itdaddy wrote:
    1 2924 cat switch 175.00
    I just thought I'd say I'm still speechless (or postless) by those prices.

Um. we'll have to update the FAQ for 640-802 lab suggestions, but the 1900's were boat anchors for the 640-801, and I'm pretty sure they will still be boat anchors for the 640-802. I needed some 10mb ports for my $25 2501(16/16) and my $10 2513s(16/16), but I only spent $1 (plus $12 shipping) on my 1900. I did splurge $45 on a 2514(16/16).

:mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    sheeesssh @ those prices.. you got ripped man.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    itdaddy wrote
    subnetting program will blowyou away

I have already experienced his explanations of subnetting, and just finished the binary module of the CCENT course this AM. I am not sure if it's the same as your reference, but he did most of it in a Q&A format--a really good test and experience.

And, I have been soaking up the Bryant material the past week. It's a "fresh breeze".

Now I know what the guru might say.
    mikej412 wrote
    I'm still speechless....Um.
    lol.

I guess I'm going to have to polish off my old eBay account and see what I can do.
    I want some 2950s and a couple routers with 12.4 capabilities. I saw some good possiblilities on eBay while cruising through there.

Guess I got a bit ripped on my devices, but they are very clean, and I can still do the labs I've studied so far.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    darkplayerdarkplayer Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    itdaddy wrote:
    1 2924 cat switch 175.00

Robert :D

I don't want to beat a dead horse but, yeah, those prices are down right outrageous. I tried to view your blog but unable to see any pics.
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well I figured I would post my opinion as well ^_^ just couldnt help my self!!!

If your going to build your own Cisco lab, stay away from 2500 routers, 1900 switches
    (also try to stay away from 2900XL's if you can afford 2950's which typically run no higher then 200 on ebay)

I see alot of 2610 routers on ebay now for under 50 bucks, 2620's run about 80-100 bucks.

But if you do choose this route, you have to also buy WIC's so try to find routers that have wic's already (wic-1t, wic-2t, wic-1dsu-t1)

The only 2500 you should really use is a 2509 or 2511 for an access server, and even i dont use that,
    (because i hate the slowness lol!!!) i use a 2610xm with nm-16a (but that is if you have money to blow lol)

Although the new ccna goes over wireless technologies and topics, a cisco ap is nice to have
    you can get a cisco aironet 1231b on ebay for under 100 bucks
    (its not required, but it helps to familiarize your self with the aironet config web page)

Other then that you can find the IOS images pretty easy online (google is your best friend)
    or if you have an instructor, ask him to get ya the images ya want :)
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great post.

I think I have decided that for now I will try and get a couple of 2600 series myself.

I might look into getting an extra for an access server with the appropriate wic, thats a stellar idea.

This will add to my existing 2501, 2900XL, 2621XM, and my newly acquired 1100 AP. :)

I found we have a couple of spare AIR-BR-1310-A-K9's at the shop too, that are just sitting around. The 1100 has IOS on it though so that should be good enough. If I need something different I'll be getting the 1310's here at home for my lab. Come to think of it I may do that anyway, as the 1100 is a replacement for my WRT54GL that just crapped out.

EDIT:

The 2610's and 2620's should be good for the CCNP right?
  • Options
    sblsbl Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    itdaddy wrote:
    1 2924 cat switch 175.00
    I just thought I'd say I'm still speechless (or postless) by those prices.

Um. we'll have to update the FAQ for 640-802 lab suggestions, but the 1900's were boat anchors for the 640-801, and I'm pretty sure they will still be boat anchors for the 640-802. I needed some 10mb ports for my $25 2501(16/16) and my $10 2513s(16/16), but I only spent $1 (plus $12 shipping) on my 1900. I did splurge $45 on a 2514(16/16).

Yep prices are all over the board for pulled hardware but a little ebay comparison shopping should get prices closer to yours than his. FWIW a few days ago was googling up the capacity of an old hard drive found in a drawer at work and a surplus vendor reselling them turned up. They were wanting $252 (no I did not leave out the decimal) for what was a garden-variety THREE Gig IDE drive! All I can figure is they must sell stuff to the federal government LOL!
  • Options
    rotoruaguyrotoruaguy Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    whats wrong with the 2500 routers??
    as i am using a 1600 and a 2500 router setup, In Australia even the 2500 are going for $130 plus on ebay and locally.
    i got the 2500 for $50 and the 1600 for $20 at the start of the year.
    Also is there any way of loading a standard configured 1900 switch with a copy of the enterprise software from one of those switches using tftp??
    I still have two 1900 switches for a home network that only needs 10Mbps and am sick of using the menus.
  • Options
    phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What would you all say for the 2610 and 2620's for minimum memory requirements?
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For the 2610/20 you want 16mb flash and 64mb ram. Although the 2620 can have the boot rom upgraded to accept 32MB of flash, if you put an IOS larger than 16MB you will run low on memory (remember the IOS is compressed and a 20 MB IOS will decompress to about 45 MB leaving the remainder for routing tables, packet buffers and so on).

As for the 2500's, there is nothing wrong with them. The only things you will miss are SDM and the interVLAN routing (and possibly the bits on configuring a router to run SSH because of the IOS image). When it comes to routing, more is better. I would prefer 4-5 2500's over 2 2610 or somthing like that. It's tough to study multi-area ospf and other topics on 2 routers because you don't have as much flexability in the design. Try to create a network segment with a DR/BR/ and one DROTHER on 2 routers, it dosent't work.

Wih the correct IOS on the 2500 you can do all the routing labs including IPv6, OSPFv3 and RIPng.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    man you guys are ripping me
    yeah the 1900s agree they are boat anchors but
    i have currently

2 2950s
    same routers plus a 2610..

where can you get 2520s for 10.00? a 2520 is different by far than a 2501 man!
    more ports big time! a 2511 is an access router..if you can compare a 2511 or 2509 to a 2501 you are wacked in the head they are access routers!

show me on ebay where you can get good deals. I just bought a 2950 for under 200.00 bucks
    i havent gotten it yet but will be shocked it is good. 300.00 i spend on a nice nice 2950 switch

butu where do yuo guys get your 2520 routers for 25.00??? let me know
    but i shop on ebay and i am cheap! but needed to buy these and i look to make sure they are not crap! i look to see how many items the seller sells; how good the warranty it is
    and well if my only source is EBAY and not some bud! well; all my routers are A+ no bad ports and have been running many months with NO glitches! most current IOS in all of them
    so i may have got ripped but i know what they are made ofl
    but by all means point me to your 10.00 3500 seriies CATS man and i am there.
    give me a break dudes!
    show me where you shop! please since you guys think i am IT Dummy and not itdaddy

if you can see my pics on my blog it is not the site; must be blocked some how
    cause noone has ever had an issue. i just share my blog to any one who wants to build a lab
    it is much better looking and I will post new pics soon. i will be ccna by march 2008

with the bryant advantage and my home lab now i am just waiting for ISDN sims to come down in price. i am a geek and well ISDN is still used in many places and well i think it is good to have a lab with it configed! later dudes.. but please by all means please when you dog me
    a 2501 is different than a 2520 i have a 2501; wish i had another 2520 but yeah the prices
    for 2500 series today's ebay they are runing for 20.00 bucks but mind you i bought them last year. and good luck finding a 2511 or 2509 for under 150.00 they are access routers and are stil valuable.
    my 3.4 cents man! haahah LOL
    icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    mikej412

since i am a dummy a year or so ago buying the cheapest/decent warranty i could find
    2500 routers..
    where did you get your devices ;crap man you must have great resources look at your certs
    you are CISCO! crap i am just starint out have 1 year as a CCNA learner and bought my stuff on ebay where do you get yoru stuff friends. not my fault maybe instead of slam!
    guys maybe it would be helpful if you would point me and others in the right direction.
    slams i can handle but show me that way oh great certified techs/engineers

geees! dorks!

atleast i try to explain wherei got my stuff; that is why i love this forum! you have the greats
    and then you have me the greatest! hahaahah
    LOL
    teach us not slam us oh great certified engineers!
    oh yeah you got where you are at by your blood sweat and tears and noone helpedyou
    so why should you help others..yeah i got it!
    :D
  • Options
    itdaddy

If you're going to post, don't drink. And if you drink, don't post.
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't take it so personal man. Nobody is trying to slam you. You will find that people on discussion boards are kinda opinionated. People are going to give you thier opinions from their own personal experiences, but they aren't trying to slam you. A lot of people that have big labs get their resources from work. Others aquire bits and pieces over time. From my experiences, ebay is the cheapest option if you must buy it outright. I've seen some stuff on Craig's list. YOu just have to be patient on ebay. Check the stickies for people selling off gear. Seems like 2500, 2600 and 3640's seem to be the norm for routers. 2924, 2950, and 3550's are the norm for switches. drunken_smilie.gif

Finding people who aren't willing to make a buck as much as they are willing to help you out are the kinds of people you need to find. Those types of people are hard to find but just look around.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    EcoEco Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    itdaddy wrote:

omg I got my 3550 for that price >< and it has poe to boot
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm sure most people have been riped off at least once in their life so give the guy a break. When I first started with Cisco I had no idea about hardware. I would have thought those were great prices since the only prices I had seen were for the new equipment we bought which was thousands of dollars per router or switch!

How did the rest of you guys learn what price was reasonable? You weren't born with it, so you had to learn somewhere (Techexams.net for most of you probably icon_lol.gif ). Now why don't we give him the same beneifit instead of making fun of him for spending too much.

Good luck on your future hardware buying. Also if these came with a waranty, you are not going to get a waranty for $10 thats for sure...
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    EcoEco Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm sure he got all of that in one big package whereas most people spend lots and lots of time on ebay. So, if time is of importance and you want guaranteed equipment then I'm sure the route he took is still quite viable for a lot of people.

If you're starting out and wanting some tips from experience:

1) Make a budget (it's easy to loose sight of things when you get into the full swing of building a lab).

2) Find what you need. This site actually a really good tool. There are a ton of lab suggestion threads along with a large community that has been where you are. I didn't find this place at first so I headed to google and started looking up the recent test changes and lab suggestions.

3) Start getting an idea of prices on ebay. This one is very important because the majority of cisco routers are module based and chances are every router listed will have different hardware options (nm, wic, vpn, ram, flash), and subsequently, different prices.

4) If you have the time, try to get your items for under the general "going price" on ebay. I bought a 2950G and when it arrived it was just the basic 2950 with no uplinks, but because I bought it for a really good price I was able to write up a correct description and relist it avoiding all the hassle of sending it back and dealing with some of these sellers. Also, a bid sniper really helps for closing times when you will be afk.

5) Looking back, getting serial cards to connect my routers first would have been a good idea. Nothing like having a few routers and waiting a week for cards to arrive.

I hope my jibber-jabber was helpful. If you ever have questions about hardware prices in the future you can always start a thread here.
  • Options
    no i am not mad really; i can tak $hit it is just where does Eco get a 3550 for 300.00???
    holy crap! show me on ebay where you get a 3550 cat switch for 300.00 please
    put links on here and show me; it would nice those who are experts would share the wealth
    you cannot tell me you got your switch off of ebay for 300.00 you got lucky!

if you are going to slam me just tell me where to look i was only trying to help not being wimpy
    it is i cannot stand people who call themselves experts that slam but dont give us rookies tips
    i help a lot of people at my job with IT i dont say suffer man just like i did that is how to become great! i hate the attitude so it comes out in my writing..

my prices were hi i though but on ebay today i have seen 2500 series go for 30.00 dollars
    but the places i have gotten my devices usually i go for 120 days warranty some longer just in case. kind of cautious.bottome line is i know some of you guys like Eco got your 3550 cat switch from a bud or someone you know..but please if you are going to be slamming at lteast on this
    forum let us be men and share some of the wealth of knowlege isnt that why we are here
    caue we love IT stuff and are trying to work together. that is my beef and that is all

that is why chris bryant is so cool i and he would give you the shirt off his back to help you out! i want to be that cool

we are hear as a team! so let work together. that is why i seem hot about the topics.

dont worry i know i got burned on some stuff but my stuff had warrantys.

but please show me where you got your cat switch 3550 with POE for what 300.00? from where?
    cause it ant on ebay..show me how dumb i am or nieve by showing melinks where yu got great stuff.... and yeah i bought some stuff in a ahurry... i dont think i was bragging about what i got
    just trying to share and my blog is only to help others who are coming up to give them ideas,
    i like to help and play around; okay i am good now!

we are a team let us act like one!

;D

and while i am at it Merry Christmas and Happy New year to you all. and thank you to all who have helped me out! and i hope I have helped someone out. i gave my emails out if anyone needs extra help. i would help you! out!

see you later

itdaddy out!
    be back some time...you know me! he hee hee
    icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    Netstudent and ECo

show me where to get a 3500 series cat for under 500.00.? you guys are geniuses
    hole crap....please shoe me links on a 3500 series cat we have the same ebay..

they are on ebay????? i know my 1900 are crap and my 2924 suck 2950s and 2500 are the way to go i also just bought a wifi access point enterprise 1200 aeronet for under 90.00 they go
    for 500.00 buck new so i did good huh?? haha

i am good! just had to vent!

but please show us or dummy where yoou get your R and S for so cheap!?
    i never see them that cheap else from a rip off seller!

thank you!
    icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    mikej412

that was wisdom man! you are so helpful!

but i can see how all those certs go to your head and you have to have so many to
    make up for lack of??????can't say it on this forum! but we all know what that means!
    haahhah

i can be a smartA$$ too man! tis the season you know!
    icon_eek.gif

AND i know my sentences suck and so does my spelling! i type chat typing it is called!
    i am special! ;)
  • Options
    mikej412

but i do like your avatar.. that cat is prtty funny so you must have some sense of humor
    amongst all those big certs! ???? :D
  • Options
    sbl

forgot to tell you that these prices were 1.5 years ago.today you can get all this for nothing!
    probably under 300.00 but now

they want for ccna 2590 and 3500 min for switches and 2500 to up for routers at least 12.3 IOS
    min.

i should have mentioned that before i opened my big mouth sorry dudes!
    my bad!
    icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mikej412 wrote:
    itdaddy

If you're going to post, don't drink. And if you drink, don't post.

This type of behavior is typically not associated with depressants, such as alcohol. He is clearly using crack or another similarly powerful stimulant.
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your not going to get a 3550 EMI for under $750. Anyone who who got a 3550 for 300 bucks did not get it from ebay. I have been looking for a 3550 myself and I can't find one for under 800 bucks.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    You've repeated the same thing over in multiple posts. Seriously, if you're drinking and posting -- STOP.

I got my equipment on eBay. If the equipment was "AS-IS" I wouldn't bid more than $10 and would hope that I'd at least get some spare parts from the deal -- but all of it worked, and still works. I just did my research and planned ahead and wouldn't overbid.

From the Do you turn off your home lab when not using it?
    mikej412 wrote:
    Time vs Money -- I have lots of money, but not lots of time. But I also don't value the 2500 as high as some people do.... $25 for a 2501 (which is why I only have 1). $35 for the 252xs $50 for that 2523. $80 for the 2509s.

And then there were the "deals" -- 4 2521 for $100, 5 2502s for 80$, 4 2513 for $60 (all max memory!).
  • Options
    dynamik

all i can says is OUCH m brother!

Netstudent

thanks for the input; cause i feel dumb for not finding a 3500 for 50cents like the rest of the crew has. hahaha

mikej412

okay okay! i get it. sorry for being a wierdo but all i should have posted more details about
    my devices and it would be nice ifyou mike had a blog so we can see your home lab that would be awesome too see all that stuff...

beers are down man! sorry for the grief! ;D
    merry christmas to you all dudes! good luck on your exams! :D
  • Options
    rebelratrebelrat Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Netstudent wrote:
    Your not going to get a 3550 EMI for under $750. Anyone who who got a 3550 for 300 bucks did not get it from ebay. I have been looking for a 3550 myself and I can't find one for under 800 bucks.

Totally agree - the lowest I have seen them go is $550 - $600 - but that is without any warranty. Best deal with warranty about $700.
    rebelrat :-)
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    rebelrat wrote:
    Netstudent wrote:

Totally agree - the lowest I have seen them go is $550 - $600 - but that is without any warranty. Best deal with warranty about $700.

Look for the ones that say "I have no way to test this being sold as is" and bid $50 and hope you get lucky. If nothing else you may get parts that can fix another "as is" item someone lists.
    The only easy day was yesterday!