Options

how to setup a TFTP server

stone123stone123 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
hello guys,

I want to upgrade the ios for my cisco router. I am gng to upgrade it through TFTP.

I have never done this before.

I have new IOS for the router on the hard disk, but I don't know how to copy ios through tftp.

i want to know how can i convert my desktop to TFTP server & how to copy the ios through TFTP. Can anybody help me in this.

Thanks in advance........

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    stone123 wrote:
    hello guys,

I want to upgrade the ios for my cisco router. I am gng to upgrade it through TFTP.

I have never done this before.

I have new IOS for the router on the hard disk, but I don't know how to copy ios through tftp.

i want to know how can i convert my desktop to TFTP server & how to copy the ios through TFTP. Can anybody help me in this.

Thanks in advance........

stone123,

How did you obtain the "...new IOS for the router on the hard disk,...?"
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like the TFTP application called solarwinds. I have heard of others using Pumpkin. DL one of those to your desktop and it should create a directory under your root drive filesystem named tftproot or maybe Inetpub. This is where your IOS should sit when you extract the IOS from the TFTP server. You can specify which directory should be the active tftp directory. When you start solarwinds, it just makes your machine listen on port 69. Theers really not a whole lot of "conversion" per say. YOu will have to make sure your tftp application is set for send and recieve. so you can save IOS' to the tftp server as well as pull from it.

Once you have that setup, you need to link the computer to the routers ethernet port witha crossover. Then give your router's ethernet port an IP that is in the same subnet as your desktop. Png the desktop to make sure you have connection. Then use your commands to transfer the files.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    pumkin is really a nice TFTP program free and easy to use
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Anyone who doesnt use pumpkin, is a pumpkin!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.