Options

problems w/password recovery on 2610

motherwolfmotherwolf Member Posts: 117
Hey guys,
I just bought a 2610 off e-bay and went through the steps of recovering the password. The problem is when I reset the config register and reload the router, the enable secret password that I set won't work. I tried this multiple times and I went to bed an unhappy cisco wannabe. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Do you need to keep the startup-config? If not and you just want to wipe everything, set the config-register to 0x2101, and do a write erase. And then reload...after the reload, make sure you set it back to 0x2102
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    Yeah, I thought about doing that but I really want to know why it won't work. I followed all the steps on cisco's website to a T and still nothing.
  • Options
    How did you do it? break during bootup, enter rommon, switch to 0x2142, and copy start run, change the enable secret, and then copy run start?

It has to be done that in order...basically you're booting up ignoring the startup (which contains the password), and then you load the config (with password) back to running config, you then change the password, and then you save the new config back to NVRAM with the password changed.
  • Options
    Yup, those are steps I went through(multiple times).
  • Options
    Copy & paste your show running-config after you've booted up and issued copy start run
    Let's try and see what is wrong...

Are you sure it's prompting for the enable secret? And not the line con password?
  • Options
    I would, but I'm at work and the router is in the trunk of my car. You could have a point with the Console password. I did notice that when trying to put in my new password after the reload that above the password prompt it said: User Access Verification Does that mean it's asking for the Console password? Sorry for sounding like a complete idiot but I'm new to the Cisco world.
  • Options
    I can't remember what the prompt would be if console password is set, but if the password is asked to be entered before you see Router> that password isn't the enable password/secret password. I'm assuming you're using the console kit to connect to the router, so it's most likely a console password that you need to change/remove. If you're telnetting into the router, then it is the line vty password you have to change.

The enable secret/password will be prompted after router POST, it says "press return to continue", and then Router> will appear, when you type enable, that's when it asks for the password.
  • Options
    Yup, I think you're right. You're prompted for the enable secret password after you type enable at Router>. I didn't get that far. I'll look into it, thanks for the help.
  • Options
    No problem, the procedure is the same as what you have done, just change/remove the password on line con 0 instead of enable secret

Alternatively, you can also issue a 'no login' on line con 0...that will keep the password, but it will not prompt you for authentication.

Good luck.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You need to break the boot sequence and set the config register to 0x2142 (there is no ROM IOS on the 2600 so 0x2101 won't work). Once it boots up answer "no" to the "do you want to enter the initial configuration dialog?". Once you get a router prompt type "enable" then "copy start run" and hit enter a few times to confirm. Now go to config mode change the "enable secret" to whatever you like, and create a username and pw or remove the "login local" command from the line con 0 (there may be some AAA configu in there as well which you will need to remove or use the "no aaa new-model")

option B is to change the config register, boot up, enable, then erase start, but this will not preserve the existing configuration file.
    The only easy day was yesterday!