Options

Catalyst 2950

phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have the opportunity to buy a slightly used 2950 for $150.

The catch is that the current owner hosed the flash image last night (i am guessing he erased flash or something obnoxious).

I thought I read here somewhere that you can download the IOS for the switches for free?

Is $150 even a good deal for the 2950's?

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    There are certain license requirements for the software, for full details please see

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/pub/Redirect.x?mdfid=268438038

Also, be aware that there are 2 versions of the 2950 software, standard image, and enterprise image. See
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/prod_bulletin09186a00800b3089.html

From what I have seen, $150 for the 2950 is fair game, nothing impressive, but not a rip either (so no L3.....j/k..... pun intended)

Depending on how familiar you are with cisco hardware, you will be in for a nightmare if you don't know how to upgrade the IOS....since the flash is empty...have fun with xmodem...
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    Ah..

Should I ask for less then?
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    phreak wrote:
    Should I ask for less then?

That's entirely up to you. My experience has been that IT equipment is practically worthless for most companies that are getting rid of them, that's why you have such a large market for refurbishing companies/people to buy these in huge lots and make a profit out of them.

I've paid up to as much as 150-160 for a router (2514) all the way to the other end of the spectrum where my 2924M-XL-EN was about 20 bucks.

The bottom line is, if you know what you are doing with it, 150 is probably not a bad deal, but of course the less is better.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thats about right. I paid 10 more dollars than that for mine. Wouldn't hurt to ask...all he can do is say no, in which case you will probably buy it anyways. You can get an image but it will not be licensed. Cisco would probably rather you be a ligitimate certified cisco associate, than to prosecute you for using an unlicensed image for a study lab. I would ask around for an image that is suitable for your switch.....
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can download Switch IOS images with a guest level Cisco login. I think Matt has the URL on page 22 (last time I looked) of his Matt George Guide to the Cisco IOS pdf file (link is in the CCNA FAQ).

I paid $153 for a 2950-12 and $187 for a 2950-24 on eBay, but back then I lucked out since people were regularly bidding the 12s over $200 and the 24s to the high 200s and into the 300s.

You may want to try and get a lower price for the "pain and suffering" of XMODEM'ing switch IOS image through the console connection.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Well he wanted to sell it to me for 20% less than the average buy-it-now on ebay. I told him no, I'd not pay more than $150 because of the hassle of dealing with XMODEM.

If it is the same model of switch as another 2950 (everything the same) can I just grab the image off the working model and push it on ?
  • Options
    Si' Senor
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    get it!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2950 runs mostly 300 and above man! get it!
  • Options
    I know... We buy our core stuff from ebay NIB usually so it costs us at least 250. I just wasn't sure what was a good deal on something as fubar'd as this, lol
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If it works, its a deal.

If the IOS was "erased" and you can't check it out beforehand -- does it come with money back guarantee that it works? Do you know and trust the person selling it? Do you get to physically see it before you buy it -- lights and the console boot sequence?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    There are certain license requirements for the software, for full details please see

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/pub/Redirect.x?mdfid=268438038

Also, be aware that there are 2 versions of the 2950 software, standard image, and enterprise image. See
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/prod_bulletin09186a00800b3089.html

From what I have seen, $150 for the 2950 is fair game, nothing impressive, but not a rip either (so no L3.....j/k..... pun intended)

Depending on how familiar you are with cisco hardware, you will be in for a nightmare if you don't know how to upgrade the IOS....since the flash is empty...have fun with xmodem...

xmodem isn't that bad.

Not at as good as tftp or whatever, but the way I look at it is:

at least you can load an image even if you totally hork the system up.

I have used it on routers as well.

Its a little slow and clunky, but what can you do?

Not make mistakes I guess?

Sorry its early and my brain is still tired from studying late last night.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    how does one hose a flash ? erase it or electronic issues???

if it is a friend i would say let me put an IOS on it and then test it for a day or so and if it all works well then do it huh!?!

depends how the flash was erased; by the command line no probelm
    but but electronic issues or dropping it or water?????
    then no way
  • Options
    had a guy at school who bought a 2950 switch as his very first piece of cisco hardware. The delivery guy left the box on his front porch. Well it ended up raining cats and dogs that day and his switch got soaked. Then like an idiot he went and turned the damn thing on. Needless to say, he was asking me how to fix it. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    The switch was in 100% operational status when he got it. I think he was attempting to erase the startup config and thought that the startup was located in flash, rather than NVRAM.

Prior to that, the thing was kept in a very clean machine closet. I know the thing is in 100% functional condition, or at least it was prior to it's mishap.
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow i thought i had a good memory, mike really surprised me on page 22 lol!!!

Any who, with the 2950 Switches, the image is soley dependant upon the hardware

so if you have a C2950-24, this is strictly standard image, and NO you cannot upgrade them to Enhanced image. (this is a hardware limitation)

A link below will give you an ideal of the differences between SI and EI, as well as a image comparison and which image is loaded on which switch.

Also 150 for a 2950 is a great price, on ebay they typically sell for 180 & up + shipping (thats if you buy it now) You can find a few people who sell them with out bin and they typically sell for around 140-150 + shipping of course icon_lol.gif

george
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    sblsbl Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    If it works, its a deal.

If the IOS was "erased" and you can't check it out beforehand -- does it come with money back guarantee that it works? Do you know and trust the person selling it? Do you get to physically see it before you buy it -- lights and the console boot sequence?

Got a vgc 2924XL w/12.0(5) for ~$64 (ground shipped in USA).

Not sure if rules here allow plugging specific ebay resellers so I won't mention the outfit by name, but they have a long history of +feedback and turn up easily with a little searching.

FWIW it also replaced 2 cheap unmanaged SOHO switches on my home LAN with one that's built far better with plenty of ports to spare. Since I don't need Gb this old Cat that outlived its usefulness in some business is now a VERY useful piece of home LAN equipment, not something to throw back on ebay after the test is passed.