Options

Gas Prices? ARGH!

NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
Where do you live and what is the price of gas in your area? Anyone here drive or plan on buying a flex-fueled vehicle? This is another curiosity thread. icon_lol.gif
There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Seriously looking at a 10-speed

It's about $2.64/gallon here and they pump it for you icon_exclaim.gif

But car insurance stinks.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    i paid like $2.60-something a last week, maybe more maybe less. came out to about $47. horrible.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    I should have included mine in the first post.

2.99 per gallon for low-octane in Nashville. I might be installing streamers and horn on my HUffy in the next few weeks! :D Seriously though, I am considering a flex-fueled vehicle for my next car. DO they make flex-fueled mustangs?
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    I saw a totally electric car on the discovery channel (or some similar channel) and it could go from 0-60 in 4.x secounds. Ahh yeah, plus it was a convertible and looked kinda like a porsche.

but i dont think it was production and if it was i couldnt afford it :P
  • Options
    boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    $2.99 to 3.02 for Regular around here right now and still rising! It is ridicolous, the oil companies have record profits, maybe I should switch to being a big oil exec.

Nah, I will just bring there network to its knees! icon_twisted.gif Who has the power now!

icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    $3.19 today some a little higher some still hanging on at $3.09 for a couple more hours.

The US doesn't even pay a comparable rate to what Europe pays, there is really nothing to complain about.

1. Start driving better and quit excellerating and breaking as hard/fast as possible.
    2. Drive the speed limit....it is a 'limit' not the minimum
    3. Maintain ones vehicle
    4. Be efficient in trips out
    5. Use public transportation (that is already moving with mostly empty buses (in our area)).
    6. Walk or Bike
    7. Request the highway limits get lowered back to 55MPH or 60MPH from 70. There isn't a need for 70MPH and it just encourages people to drive 80-85MPH
    8. And for a real nice way to drop the price.....quit demanding it. If alternative methods of transportation are used...they'll have a surplus on hand they'll want to sell cheap. Not $.79 a/gallon cheap (those days are gone), but maybe under $2 again....and when the price drops...don't buy it.

We don't need it....we've just gotten awful used to having it and having as much of it as we wanted.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    $2.89 and rising
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Plantwiz wrote:

1. Start driving better and quit excellerating and breaking as hard/fast as possible.
    3. Maintain ones vehicle
    5. Use public transportation (that is already moving with mostly empty buses (in our area)).
    6. Walk or Bike
    7. Request the highway limits get lowered back to 55MPH or 60MPH from 70. There isn't a need for 70MPH and it just encourages people to drive 80-85MPH
    8. And for a real nice way to drop the price.....quit demanding it. If alternative methods of transportation are used...they'll have a surplus on hand they'll want to sell cheap. Not $.79 a/gallon cheap (those days are gone), but maybe under $2 again....and when the price drops...don't buy it.

We don't need it....we've just gotten awful used to having it and having as much of it as we wanted.

Good advice!

You must run for office in 2008. The President must be an IT-certified to do a good job icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    I was just out and about....

Gas here is now $3.24 a gallon in central Illinois... and I drive a V8 2006 Dodge Charger icon_sad.gif
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    $3.24 in upstate NY.

Good suggestions, Plantwiz!
    Oddly enough, even though gas prices are so high, use of public transportation and carpooling is at an all time low when measured over the last 20 years. Sales of vehicles w/ V-8 engines remains steady at approx. 25% of the market (and we are commuting over longer distances than ever).

For current gas prices at a city near you, you can use GasBuddy.com, which will also show you the cheapest gas prices for your city (US & Canada only).
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Vogon Poet wrote:
    $3.24 in upstate NY.

Oddly enough, even though gas prices are so high, use of public transportation and carpooling is at an all time low when measured over the last 20 years. .....

PT was real nice when we were up in Toronto back in '98. Chicago is pretty easy to get around too on foot or taxi (as a tousist anyway).

Our city just does't have enough demand to increase the buses to make it useful. The buses are equiped with bike racks and a montly bus pass runs about $1.30 a day...unfortunately when one of the busiest streets the 1 bus only makes a pass by the stops in about a 45 minute turn...if you miss the 7:00 bus...you won't see the next until 7:45 and it takes about 45 minutes to simply go from point A to the airport. Larger cities can afford to run the stops a lot closer together and if you miss one...you are not out too much time until the next arrives.

Colorado's downtown as a sweet system. I think it's 16th st or ave...the mall...buses only and they stop both sides of the road to allow passangers to get up or down the street quickly. It's not that way through the whole city...just through the mall...but very neat.

Too much sprawl and too much parking available to discourage folks from using their own cars....then again...that's sort what drives this state.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I live in the Arabian (Persian) Gulf .. Kingdom of Bahrain

here 1 USD per Gallon fixed rate for premium & 80 cents for regular.

I drive a 1.8 Liter nissan sunny.

any way, yes we have cheap fuel but our salaries are much lower than your salaries in the US icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    no plans to get a economic car in the future. will probably get a bigger truck that consumes moar.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    In the UK, we pay per Liter. So for every 1 U.S. liquid gallon there is 3.78 liters.

Price per liter:

Petrol: 98p
    Diesel: £1.09

So price per gallon:

Diesel: £4.12 (or $8.68 )
    Petrol: £3.70 (or $7.80)

So how would you guys feel about paying that much for fuel? It costs me about £60 ($126.50) to fill my car up, as I have a 2.0 TDCi Ford Mondeo.

-Ken

*Prices and conversion rates are correct as of today 09/Nov/2007
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Americans have alot more distance to cover. European's do not have to travel far to get somewhere... Americans do, everything is miles away...

I lived in MI for 5 years and I am now back in the UK
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi

I only have a 1.3 Ford fiesta and i fill up £35 every week.

99.9p per litre is what i paid yesterday, its getting out of hand.

If i lived near to my work i would use a bike, remember that yellow pages advert

"I was right about that saddle though" icon_lol.gif

Lee H
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    NinjaBoy wrote:
    In the UK, we pay per Liter. So for every 1 U.S. liquid gallon there is 3.78 liters.

Price per liter:

Petrol: 98p
    Diesel: £1.09

So how would you guys feel about paying that much for fuel? It costs me about £60 ($126.50) to fill my car up, as I have a 2.0 TDCi Ford Mondeo.
    -Ken
    *Prices and conversion rates are correct as of today 09/Nov/2007

icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    motherwolfmotherwolf Member Posts: 117
    Hey Binarysoul,
    weren't you the one selling your nice fuel efficient Toyota Corolla so you could buy an SUV?
    Hope you have deep pockets my friend icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Lee H wrote:
    Hi

I only have a 1.3 Ford fiesta and i fill up £35 every week.

99.9p per litre is what i paid yesterday, its getting out of hand.

If i lived near to my work i would use a bike, remember that yellow pages advert

"I was right about that saddle though" icon_lol.gif

Lee H

Ouch!
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the petrol prices in the UK are stupidly high (thanks to the great government we have..NOT!)
    Even today i ring up for my car tax and it has went up by an extra £5 for 6 months!
    But now ive moved to a busy city i actually walk to work now (takes 10 mins). Although my gf takes the car. it was 97.9 a ltr of petrol when i filled up.

and btw, i dont think it matters if in europe we travel shorter distances - we should not be took to the cleaners for it though!

With all due respect, theres way too many 4x4's and gas guzzlers out there and not just in the US but everywhere and probably soon to be china and india by the way they are going! haha!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    $3.15 in Wisconsin it sucks! I just got rid of my CRX for my Chevy blazer;
    love my chevy but at 15mph love is being lost!..........
  • Options
    steveo1985steveo1985 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    101.9pence per ltr. lol as my dad said once petrol never goes up..... i always spend £20 a time :P
  • Options
    DANG! I feel for you UK guys..wow, now that will change some incentives right there.

The question is, if we go to flex-fuel, will there be enough resources to produce it and will the price actually be cheaper at the pump???? It seems that we need more subsidies to put E85 on more pumps, but will that change the price?
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote:
    $3.19 today some a little higher some still hanging on at $3.09 for a couple more hours.

The US doesn't even pay a comparable rate to what Europe pays, there is really nothing to complain about.

3. Maintain ones vehicle
    6. Walk or Bike

The argument is not of HOW MUCH it COSTS its a matter of HOW MUCH IT HAS INCREASED over the years. 6 years ago I was paying $.99\gallon. Now I pay $2.84 for the same gas. Thats almost triple!!! Thats what most people are upset about. Comparing fuel to other countries is really...non-comparable. With costs of living and travel distance, as well as other variables, its difficult to justify if they are REALLY paying more in the end.

A MAJOR issue is public transportation. Phoenix Metro public transportation SUCKS at the moment. We are the epitome of "sprawl" and there is a lot of ground to cover. With limited buses, its Doable, but extremely inconvenient to the point of its uselessness. WE are however, installing light rail sytem around the university/downtown area. That is something I am looking forward to using. I drive 55 miles a day to work. If I need to visit the other office, add another 100 miles per day. Average commute here is about 20 miles one way. walk/bike not a viable option.

We NEED fuel. There's no getting around it. Until everybody agrees on the best alternative fuel method, we're not going to get anywhere.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    snadam wrote:
    6 years ago I was paying $.99\gallon.

Are you SURE about that? I remember paying 89 cents a gallon - in 1985. That's more like 20+ years ago. Six years ago was close to 2 bucks a gallon, if I remember correctly, in the midwest.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,036 Admin
    Regular is back up to $3.30/gal here in SoCal. But every time I start to groan about gas prices, I call a friend of mine in Israel and she tells me what she'd pay if she could afford to own a car. Right now I'd rather find a job that wasn't a 40-mile, round-trip freeway commute every day (plus $7 in tolls).
  • Options
    IN Texas, I remember it being around 88 to 95 cents a gallon back in early 2000. 88 cents was the cheapest I remember seeing gas in my life. I was too young to pay attention to gas prices in the 80's.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    snadam wrote:
    6 years ago I was paying $.99\gallon.

Are you SURE about that? I remember paying 89 cents a gallon - in 1985. That's more like 20+ years ago. Six years ago was close to 2 bucks a gallon, if I remember correctly, in the midwest.

POSITIVE.

PRE 9/11 in 2001, it was $.99/gal. AZ was one of the less expensive fuel states at the time. Ive never seen that before either. It was generally about $1.15 prior for the year I believe. THEN we had 9/11, and then a main fuel line into the city burst causing widespread panic and gas shortages. I waited in line for gas at 3AM for an hour at a time for about a month! Then it got to $6.00/gallon for about a month! After that all settled down, we never saw a gas price under $1.99.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    Yep once the price rises, that just gives the oil companies an excuse to keep the price up. Oil companies have too much political power. Once people start making money, nobody is chompin at the bit to get the prices back down except for the citizens.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are many reasons for fuel prices jumping they way they have since 2000, two of the bigger ones would be the fact we no longer use the "high sulfur" content fuel due to new environmental concerns. This is fuel that other countries did not allow so we could buy it basically as a throw away item from them. The other has to do with how energy is traded as a commodity, like any investment you want it to go up right? Even if it means artificially inflating the prices of oil. The slumping US dollar isn't going to help matters either, since it has a lower exchange rate with countries that produce oil, it costs more to buy oil, therefore gasoline is more expensive, and since everything is transported via trucks and trains and what not (all run on some product that is refined from oil) it raises the cost of everything we buy (including the cost to produce and ship gasoline and diesel fuel).

It’s only going to get worse, be prepared for $4.00/gallon in the next year.

I hear Cisco is looking for CCIE lab proctor in Australia, that's looking better all the time.
    The only easy day was yesterday!