Options

Testing the NIC of a network printer

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Here is the setup a Pc 2 Ethernet Ports 1 cat 5 cable going from PC to switch

1 cat 5 going from switch to Printer and obviously the switch is connected via network point

What's the easiest way to test if the NIC of the printer is working? It's a laserjet and I have assigned the right TCP/IP credentials can I just ping the printer?

How do I send data to a network printer?

Many Thanks
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Pinging the printer and sending test pages to it are the best ways to test a printer.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All done why did I ask this question in the first place it was a walkthrough lol icon_eek.gif
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    after pinging the printer you can try to access it through your web browser.

IE

http://192.168.100.123

we have many HP's , some are 5 years old & all of them support Accessing the printer through a browser.
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Btw, never setup a network printer...how do you assign the static IP? At a client machine or on the printer itself?
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    You assign it from the printer itself. Most printers have a user interface on the printer. You can configure it from there. Most times the printers are set to dhcp, so what you can do is print out a configuration page from the printer and then access it's web based configuration menu using the IP address and then set it statically there.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    You assign it from the printer itself. Most printers have a user interface on the printer. You can configure it from there. Most times the printers are set to dhcp, so what you can do is print out a configuration page from the printer and then access it's web based configuration menu using the IP address and then set it statically there.

Yep. Usually pretty straight forward. Only done Lexmark, HP and Xerox but usually it's pretty easy to find and scroll through the LCD screen menu options.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□

or [for HP] you can use the drivers CD, it will scan the network for printers, allow you to use the printer's mac address or IP address.

If you use the CD you do not need to add the printer to a print server, it will allow you to print, [scan or Fax if you have a multi function Machine] from each device that you install the drivers on.

I noticed that installing a network printer [HP] directly on a PC takes more than half an hour!