Options

agggh my 3640 just crashed

livenliven Member Posts: 918
Don't know why but out of no where my 3640 just won't decompress the IOS, it is sitting in rommon....

Man I gotta xmodem another image on there...

Hope something bigger is not broken on that thing...

OH well, it was running fine for some time, but everything breaks eventually....

Now my question is,

can you delete the file in flash from rommon?

I can seem to get it to delete... I want to use a different IOS image on this router but I keep getting an error message that there is not enough free space...

But if I could delete the existing messed up image I could get the new image on there.

Anyone?
encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.

Comments

• Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If your going to work with 3600 series routers, its always best to keep a small 16MB PCMCIA card at hand with 2 small IOS images, perferably IP Base like 12.0 or somthing, where they are no larger then 8MB a peice.

In case the router just dies on ya, you dont have to use xmodem, you can pick these up on ebay for pretty much nothin.

Also check how much flash is avaliable to you when you freshly format it, as well as how big the image is, i use 3 3640's as my bb routers in my ccie lab and some times they can be picky :)
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    Thanks bro,

well this is the second time I have reloaded it,

but it just will not accept the image. I have used this image on the router before... Don't know what is wrong.

Unfortunately trouble shooting this might just have to wait.

I am sitting 640=802 on 21st...

I have 5 other routers so I think I can get by till after then.

Just wish i knew what happened to the darn thing!
  • Options
    khristovkhristov Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Generally two are the most possible reasons for the device to stop booting properly
    One si deffective main memory. In this case you should see something like "Software forced crash" while in "Self decompressing the image ####"
    The other reason is deffective flash card.
    You may try to boot from xmodem directly into RAM and then under the IOS config to format the flash card again.
    Also check your rommon variables maybe the rommon is trying to boot the wrong IOS name.
    (internal rommon variables like IOS name, tftp server etc are not the same as system boot commands in nvram, as they can be changed separately)
    khristov.gif
  • Options
    Yes i keep seeing:

Software forced crash

So I figured it was probably memory or something of that nature.

Now this 3640 is my best router, but I still have 4 others, so I can keep going for now.

I just don't have time to trouble shoot this to much because I want to take the exam soon.

Anyway thanks for the details, they really help!