Options

When to call back

For anyone that has read my previous post, knows how shitty my current job is. I very anxiously try to land a new job. Thursday of last week, I had a phone interview; it was suppose to be a quick 10-15min chat, it turned out to be a 40-45min interview with the manager. He went on to say things such as, how much of a perfect match I was for this position, my qualifications are exactly what they're looking for. So on and so forth. I always try to take things like that with a grain of salt.

My question is thou; he went on to say at the end of the interview, that HR would be contacting me on Thursday for Friday to setup an appointment for an interview. It is now Monday and I have not yet received a call. Should I call the manager back to find out what is going on? What should I say when I call back? I don’t want to come across pushy, especially since he's very busy.
Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't think it would be out of line to give him a call back since he mentioned specific dates (as opposed to something like "in the near future"). I'd just say that you never received a call and were wondering if they were still interested. Do you have, or can you get his email address? Maybe just shoot him off an email, so he can respond at his own leisure.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ditto.

He said they would get back to you thursday or friday. Well they are now a day late. Its totally appropriate to call them back and ask if the position is still around, etc.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
    *Update*

Well I decided to email him back to find out if I was still in the running for the position. Turns out I am, the HR manager was away for a few days, I received a call today, to setup another interview for tomorrow, (the manager wanted today, but with my schedule, I couldn’t just accommodate.) We decided on tomorrow, this interview is via phone, it is with the HR and the IT manager.

I was told this mostly be an HR interview and a few more tech questions. If all goes well tomorrow, I was told there would be a final interview on Friday.

So my question is what type of tech questions can I expect to be asked?

Here is the Job description if this helps...

JOB SUMMARY: *IT System Administrator*
    This individual will travel to any other centres in his/her region frequently, addressing any needs as they arise and support the National and Corporate Systems and IT divisions with any projects as required.

ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
    This role is responsible for the day-to-day desktop and systems health for a 200+ seat call centre.

REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
    • Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a business related field preferred, or equivalent work experience
    • Networking and Telecom experience an asset
    • MCSE or equivalent experience within Windows 2003 Active Directory environment
    • Experienced with Windows 2000 & XP desktop support
    • Experience with desktop imaging software an asset
    • Able to lift and move equipment up to 50lbs
    • Able to trouble-shoot and repair desktop and peripheral hardware issues

• Options
    cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    I once totally blew the HR interview, and didn't get hire. BE SURE TO BE ON TIME!! I showed up late, no my fault. You gonna seem interested and confident. Here's your chance to ask those questions about 401(K),salary, benefits,the full package. Do not settle for the first offer do a little negotiating. Never settle for less. Go in their and tell that skirt "show me the money"
  • Options
    CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    I am sure you have already been through these and read all the tips but in my experience what seems to be extremely beneficial when going into the face to face interview is being very relaxed, be humble in your knowledge as to not seem overconfident and arrogant, and try to relate to them on a personal level.

I am sure you will dominate the phone interview though, best of luck! :)
    MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |
  • Options
    Well, I just finished the interview 30mins ago; it was little over an hour in length. IT was with HR, IT manager & AD guru. They all took turns asking me questions. It was a little different via phone. I'm used to face to face interviews. I thought it went well; I was open and honest about everything they asked. I was told that I would hear back later today, if I was going to have a 3rd interview tomorrow, (I got the indication that I would be called back)

The next interview is with upper management. The IT manager said that he may or may not be in on this interview. What type of interview is this going to be? I haven't had one like this before, what sort of things can I expect in this interview?

I know I may be thinking too far ahead, I just want to be prepared, seeing how if I am called back, the next interview is tomorrow afternoon. Not allot of time to prepare.

• Options
    empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    I think it may be an offer :D
  • Options
    I got home today from work and there was a message on the machine about a 3rd interview for tomorrow. I must be doing something right.

• Options
    cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    IT's in the bag!
  • Options
    I wish

• Options
    BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    Yeah this is probably the offer call.
  • Options
    Well once again this is another update. The last interview went great. Although it wasnt much of interview more of a "get to know you" Q&A. The end of this conversation, i was told how I was a perfect fit and so on, he went on to say that would need to speak with the IT manager to discuss aspects such as salary and other variables, and that I would hear back either later friday or on monday. I got home from work today and received an email asking for my list of refernces.. The list of refernces that I have are all co-workers of mine. Because of the incident with managment a couple of weeks ago, I am not asking them to be used for references (just in case). For my references do I put in there work address or they're home address info? I'm not quite sure