CIDIR

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Can anybody give me a easy fool proof tutorial on CIDIR please.
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you mean CIDR?
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No I mean Cider that lovely refreshing drink :)

Yeah ok my bad I mean Classless inter-domain routing

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    No I mean Cider that lovely refreshing drink

Ha ha ha! I didn't know what CIDIR was so I googled it and it came up with results for cider!

Anyway, CIDR is pretty simple. It just uses VLSM to group mutlipe subnets into a larger supernet for summerization. A lot of people use the words summerization and CIDR as one in the same.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    what the hell? that doesn't really explain much to me lol

can somebody provide me with a tutorial of how to use CIDDDDDAR!!! lol when subnetting

• PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ally_uk wrote:
    what the hell? that doesn't really explain much to me lol

can somebody provide me with a tutorial of how to use CIDDDDDAR!!! lol when subnetting

Networker pretty much explained it to you in 3 sentances my friend. Just to add to what he said, in the real world, more often than not, you will be given block's of useable public addresses. Now, rather than create multiple many lines in a routing table for a bunch of networks you know can be summarized to the outside world as one network, you should do it.

for example, say you have three networks:

Now can you find a subnet mask to cover all three networks and summarize it as one network?
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Essentially whenever you route a subnet that does not have a mask the complies with the Class rules you are using CIDR. As the guys mentioned above though one of the best known uses is summarization even of Classful networks.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?