Options

Good online simulator

CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
Can someone suggest an inexpensive online simulator that I could use to practice and brush up on? I know there are several out there in cyberspace, but I don't know which to choose from, and I don't need a top of the line one. Thanks.
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• Options
    r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, it's not an online simulator, but have you heard of Dynamips (I'm sure you have :D )

Check out this post, MikeJ has put together some good resources on how to set it up...the downside is that it cannot simulate switches, however you can connect the virtual router setup to real switches...It's in the CCIE forum, but don't let it scare yuh... icon_lol.gif

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23872

If it's something you're interested in, check out the 7200emu link...basically a forum dedicated to Dynamips...

I'm trying to set it up for BSCI...
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do not get Boson cause it sucks way tooo many bugs; and get this!
    the small fine print; you have to pay each year to keep using it.

1st year 200.00 dollars for ccna preview boson sim
    2nd year close to same price to rent this sim. can you believe that

i wrote them a email telling them to shuv their sim sofware!
    no way was i going to pay each year to use their crap! that works 80 percent of the time
    and has bugs galore you have got to be kdding.

i have both real lab and sims boson. i do not use it any more. i am diving into my home lab
    and beafing it up and getting creative.

i have decided to load my routers and switches with TFTP server with different configs
    that i have saved say for example. i have my system config in the past for OSPF network
    i just toss my files in my ospf folder and all my devices just look for their file and preload
    any lab that i want vs me spending hours of setup time for each time of lab

say EIRGP lab
    OSPF lab
    RIPv2 lab
    whatever all loadede via TFTP freaking slick!
    unless i need to practice building from the bottom up then i wont use my preconfig
    config files but great for quick trying something

the problem i woudl have in the past is say i just constructed a labe with RIPv2 and well
    say i wante dto practice OSPF well i would have to conifg my whole system and say maybe
    my frame relay as well too much time. need to just drill drill
    so i have decided to build separate labs save them and the load the tftp when i need to
    get a quick lab practice in bam!
    done
    slick!
  • Options
    route-eroute-e Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dude what a bunch of ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGG!!

thanks for the info man, I was close to it, to damn close!!
    Sometimes a cert, can just plain hurt.