Options

In need of second opinion

obvious_distractionobvious_distraction Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a system with an AMD Athlon 2600+ that I've been trying to get working but so far my efforts have been fruitless.

I've switched out the psu even the mobo (which I updated the BIOS as well), which leads me to one last possible issue, the cpu itself.

anyone else agree? If not any other suggested would be helpful.
Hey, Look over there!

Comments

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is is completely dead or what? What made you think it was the PS? And what a wierd avatar.....
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    your avatar makes me sad...

does the PS turn on? Does the CPU fan turn on? does your monitor show it is getting a VGA signal?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That avatar is funny, in a dark sorta way, but it seems out of place here.

Anyway, you really need to give more details. Is it just not turning on? Is there no video? Maybe it's a video card. Etc.
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    that avatar makes me t hink of south park...

"kick the baby..... don't kick the baby!"
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think it's really annoying and disruptive. I can't even think straight when that thing is flashing around and I'm glad the thread has grown past it..
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Bad avatar icon_confused.gif

In any case, some good points have been brought up.
    1. Why did you think it was the PS?
    2. Did the Board Post?
    3. Did you attempt to boot with minimum components? PS, CPU, RAM, GC, HDD? What happens?
    4. Did you test the CPU in another board? Or can you?
    5. Retail or OEM CPU? Retail you have a chance at an RMA....OEM you ahve about 90days from date of purchase..
    6. Test the RAM?

Need a little more information and I guess, why did you flash the BIOS? It's not wrong choice...there are two schools of though on BIOS flashing....1. Flash always for the latest and greatest...even if nothing is amiss with the current config. 2. Only flash as needed.

I'm from the 2nd Camp and when someone tells me they've flashed their BIOS I tend to think they thought there was a problem before the flash.

Also, if you've flashed your BIOS already....you made it to POST at least once right?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    sorry, can't get past the avatar. icon_sad.gif
    I think you've got issues above and beyond the computer.
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    SoulreaverSoulreaver Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    are u getting any display at all?

open the case put your finger near the processor ( but dont actually touch it, just keep it near to check for heat) and turn the power on
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    crap guys the avatar isn't that bad, its animation.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    crap guys the avatar isn't that bad, its animation.

It's inappropriate.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?