What use to Study? [BSCI]

Cyrus3vCyrus3v Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well, i passed the CCNA exam and I want to continue with my carrier. I gonna start with the Composite, by first studying for BSCI and after for BCMSN.

So I need to now what books do you recommend to study. Someone tell me to study from the BCSI Authorized Self-Study 3rd from ciscopress. But then i found this book - QUE Exam Cram 2 Cisco CCNP BSCI.

Which are the best for prepare to BCSI?

Another doubt, the CCNP Video Mentor and Curriculum, are they helpful??

PS - I apologize for my english, please if you see any error notify me. Thanks :D
Ad Augusta Per Angusta

Comments

• Deadmaster200Deadmaster200 Member Posts: 145
    I wouldn't use the Exam Cram even if I could download it for free.

I also don't think the video mentor is worth the money, but isn't worthless if your company is paying for it or something like that.

Put in the work and thoroughly read both the Study guide and Exam guide. Read the study guide, read the exam guide, do practice labs, then read the study guide again.
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I'm preparing for BSCI as well and I'm reading the Routing TCP/IP book as reference. Just keep in mind that it's a development book for CCIE so it doesn't actually cover all the topics in BSCI, such as multicasting, other than that, it's a solid read for all the interior routing protocols which is vital for BSCI.

I got the CCNA video mentor, it wasn't nearly as expensive as what the CCNP video mentor is going for, so I thought it was worth it, the actual video component was average, probably has to do with the author rather than material, but the lab workbook was quite good. The CCNP video mentor seems to be even more comprehensive than the NA video mentor, and it's by a different author, so I would consider getting it too.

And a note on the Cisco press materials, I've noticed from the NA series that the cert guides are slightly cheaper than the self-study guides (different authors too), but from reading a few of them, particularly the ICND and the BCMSN books, the self-study guides are far far better than the cert guides. Just something else to watch for.

Good luck!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Cyrus3vCyrus3v Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, thanks Deadmaster200 for the advising. I saw the Cram book's and though that maybe was a good alternative to Ciscopress.

I also see a Student Guide from Cisco. Is a good alternative to the Authorized Self-Study? I want to read first a good book that explain everything, then jump to the Certification Guide and then the Labs.

bighornsheep, i also noticed that difference between a Self-Study and a Certification Exam. Sefl-Study is must, must better that a cert guide.

Which book are you using to study with the Routing TCP\IP?
    Ad Augusta Per Angusta
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Cyrus3v wrote:
    Which book are you using to study with the Routing TCP\IP?

The book is called Routing TCP/IP by Doyle, check:
    http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=cisco+press+routing+tcp%2Fip&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
    Jack of all trades, master of none
    Thanks bighornsheep
    Ad Augusta Per Angusta
    Another thing...

Is this book, Network Warrior a good choice to help in the studies?

51gozGcAo%2BL._AA240_.jpg
    Ad Augusta Per Angusta
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I haven't read it but from what I have heard it isn't geared towards exams but an excellent read for real world situations. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    I haven't read it but from what I have heard it isn't geared towards exams but an excellent read for real world situations. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong....

In the cover, says this:

"Everything you need to Know that wasn't on the CCNA Exam"

I was thinking in read this book first and then jump to BSCI. Is a good idea?
    Ad Augusta Per Angusta
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think it's a replacement for the topics on the CCNA exam, but more of the practical knowledge that isn't specific to Cisco that isn't covered. Topics like what really is a T1? The term is used throughout the CCNA but is never described in any detail beyond the bandwidth. Also things like firewall security, where the CCNA will present access control lists as a good way to filter network traffic and secure your network, the book goes into detail about stateful firewalls and how they differ from a static ACL.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
    dtlokee wrote:
    I don't think it's a replacement for the topics on the CCNA exam, but more of the practical knowledge that isn't specific to Cisco that isn't covered. Topics like what really is a T1? The term is used throughout the CCNA but is never described in any detail beyond the bandwidth. Also things like firewall security, where the CCNA will present access control lists as a good way to filter network traffic and secure your network, the book goes into detail about stateful firewalls and how they differ from a static ACL.

Thanks for the explanation dtlokee.
    Ad Augusta Per Angusta
  • JohnDouglasJohnDouglas Member Posts: 186
    Cyrus3v wrote:
    Another thing...

Is this book, Network Warrior a good choice to help in the studies?

51gozGcAo%2BL._AA240_.jpg

Got this book through recently. Looks really good and I reckon I'll read through it before I start properly on CCNP. But what's with the dog on the front? Really it's crying out for a Ninja or something.
    Got this book through recently. Looks really good and I reckon I'll read through it before I start properly on CCNP. But what's with the dog on the front? Really it's crying out for a Ninja or something.

The same to me. I'm reading this book first and then i jump to BSCI. Is good book.
    Ad Augusta Per Angusta