Options

Home Lab

2»

Comments

• Options
    stevchastevcha Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I forgot to mention that I have a 12u rack for sale. $27 shipped. PM if anyone is interested. Its the same rack as the one ciscokits sells:

http://www.ciscokits.com/cube/cables-and-accessories/12u-economy-home-rack-stand/prod_84.html
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    stevcha wrote:
    Netstudent wrote:
    I'm going to guess somewhere over a $1200. Thats a solid rack that will take you most of the the way through NP. Add a couple more good switches and thats definitely a NP rack. Add a couple good switches a couple 3640's and it might even get you though IE written.

Actually a little lower. The routers, switches, and cables with shipping cost $850. The rack was $122 shipped. Can't wait to get all this stuff hooked up.

damn you got hooked up like a tow truck then.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    freetech wrote:
    The new CCNA tests for 12.4, which will not fit on a non-XM 26xx; and RSTP, which will not work on a regular 2950. However, I agree that getting a home lab within your budget is better than not gettting the perfect home lab that you can't afford.
    Most of the objectives will work fine on what you've got.

Is this true? I saw some non-XM 2620s that came with 12.4: Ebay 2620s with 12.4 IOS
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There was a ROM BIOS upgrade to the 262x (not sure about 261x routers) that lets you have 32 megs of flash -- which lets you store and boot the 12.4 image.

Works okay in a lab enviroment, but could crash in production due to lack of DRAM that the XMs have.

You can TFTP boot the 261x routers if you have the DRAM to run the image. This has been mentioned in several threads.

The 265x can have 128 meg DRAM and 32 meg Flash -- so they are easier to load and use the 12.4 2600XM images. These are going for around $100 right now (until everyone reads this and bids them up -- but that's okay, I got mine! :D).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    yukkyyukky Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So the 26xx non-XM series can boot a 12.4 IOS, just that they have reached End of Life, so Cisco will no longer support them?

How about c2600-ipbase(k9) 12.4 on a 2610? DRAM/Flash requirements are 64/16... or should I just be happy with 12.3?
    Buying hardware for a home lab is addicting-- (Need.. more.. toys...) **(need.. more.. money)
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can use whatever IOS you like, but I would check the feature navigator www.cisco.com/go/fn to see what features the IOS you are planning to use supports. I would not run 12.4 just becasue it's 12.4 when a 12.3 or a 12.2 version gives you more features you want.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    dtlokee wrote:
    You can use whatever IOS you like, but I would check the feature navigator www.cisco.com/go/fn to see what features the IOS you are planning to use supports. I would not run 12.4 just becasue it's 12.4 when a 12.3 or a 12.2 version gives you more features you want.
    But that extra decimal seems to make a big difference :D

No 12.4 for 3620 though.
    Buying hardware for a home lab is addicting-- (Need.. more.. toys...) **(need.. more.. money)
  • Options
    rebelratrebelrat Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Got lucky on Ebay today and bought a 3550-24 PWR brand new in the box with license for $660.00 plus shipping.

My CCNP lab now consists of

1 2610XM 48/128 with WIC 1T plus WIC B S/T
    1 2611XM 32/128 with WIC 1T plus WIC T1 DSU
    1 2611XM 32/128 with WIC T1 DSU plus WIC B S/T
    1 3550-24 PWR
    1 AIM VPN/EP
    1 Vconsole ISDN Simulator

I plan to add a 2520 16/16 router as Frame-Relay switch, plus 1 2620 16/64 with WIC 1T for Frame-Relay Hub & Spoke configuration. For the BCMSN I will add 2 2950 switches.

Getting serious with the CCNP now.
    rebelrat :-)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Got lucky on Ebay today and bought a 3550-24 PWR brand new in the box with license for $660.00 plus shipping.

Nice score! EMI??? Pretty good rack, but whats up with the ISDN simulator?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options

Nice score! EMI??? Pretty good rack, but whats up with the ISDN simulator?

Actually the SMI and EMI images are all now in Deferral and have been replaced with IPbase (SMI) and IPservices (EMI). Through my company I have a CCO account which permits me to download just about any IOS image.

About the ISDN simulator - well I know it is no longer a certification requirement, but
    I just want to give some of my students (I am also a trainer) hands on experience with ISDN.
    Might also come handy for telephony.
  • Options
    r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't mean to sidetrack the thread, but everyone seems to beat down ISDN, I myself didn't put in much study for it based on feedback in the forum....Is it being totally phased out in general, or just being phased out from the Cisco side? I mean, are providers gonna stop offering the technology?
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • Options
    r_durant wrote:
    I don't mean to sidetrack the thread, but everyone seems to beat down ISDN, I myself didn't put in much study for it based on feedback in the forum....Is it being totally phased out in general, or just being phased out from the Cisco side? I mean, are providers gonna stop offering the technology?

I think providers will still offer it. I know when I was with a major telecom they were still offering it as a backup solution.
  • Options
  • Options
    stevcha wrote:
    If anyone is interested I have a 12u rack for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290188847086
    this looks a lot less heavy duty than a full cabinet, but i guess it does the job! do you have any pictures of a rack like this loaded with cisco routers/switches?
  • Options
    yukky wrote:
    stevcha wrote:

this looks a lot less heavy duty than a full cabinet, but i guess it does the job! do you have any pictures of a rack like this loaded with cisco routers/switches?

I don't have any pics of my own but I did find one from an ebay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cisco-CCNA-CCNP-Lab-2x-3640-2650-2x2924-1x1900-12-4-IOS_W0QQitemZ310003255098QQihZ021QQcategoryZ73321QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  • Options
    XmekmekXXmekmekX Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    stevcha wrote:
    Well, I finally ordered my lab today. Here's the equipment I went with:

4x 2501 16/16
    1x 2611 64/16
    1x 2610xm 128/32
    1x nm-4a/s
    1x wic 1T
    1x 2924m-xl-en
    1x 2620 64/16
    1x 2950 12port
    1x Skeletek 16u rack

and all cables/tranceivers

Thanks for all your help guys!!

Hi guys

Can i just get the spec same like stevcha because i'm plan to get my CCNA and CCNP also??
    It's safe to trade in ebay because i'm stay at Asian ??

Any help will be appreciated ..thank ....
  • Options
    Hi guys,

I'm trying to find out which 12.3 IOS I should load on my 2501s and non xm 2600s? Does it make a huge difference for CCNA? I have a 2610xm which I assume I should load with 12.4 advanced enterprise? Please advise. Thanks!!
  • Options
    stevcha wrote:
    yukky wrote:
    stevcha wrote:

I don't have any pics of my own but I did find one from an ebay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cisco-CCNA-CCNP-Lab-2x-3640-2650-2x2924-1x1900-12-4-IOS_W0QQitemZ310003255098QQihZ021QQcategoryZ73321QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    thanks for the link. looks like it can hold up pretty well.
  • Options
    stevcha wrote:
    Hi guys,

I'm trying to find out which 12.3 IOS I should load on my 2501s and non xm 2600s? Does it make a huge difference for CCNA? I have a 2610xm which I assume I should load with 12.4 advanced enterprise? Please advise. Thanks!!

Reqires 192MB DRAM - 26xxXM can be upgraded to 256MB DRAM, but it must have a ROM that supports it - i.e. ROMmon(BOOT-2600XM-256=)
  • Options
    CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    stevcha wrote:
    I forgot to mention that I have a 12u rack for sale. $27 shipped. PM if anyone is interested. Its the same rack as the one ciscokits sells:

http://www.ciscokits.com/cube/cables-and-accessories/12u-economy-home-rack-stand/prod_84.html

So the braces that actually fasten on to the equipment would be separate? If so, where would they be available?
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ebay or pretty much any place that sells Cisco stuff.

My equipment usually comes with them, but I picked up some extra when I got my skeletek rack: http://www.dantraknet.com/index.php?cPath=31&osCsid=157118b775c9d34b1bb51509719720b9
  • Options
    Added a 2521 as a frame-relay switch to my setup.

One question to the gurus - is it worth to do the ROM upgrade on the 2610XM and 2611XM so that they support 256MB of DRAM? I already have the DRAM. I found the ROM upgrade on Ebay for $40.00 per router. I have 12.4(17a) images (advanded IP, advanced Enterprise, advanced Security) that do fit on 128MB DRAM. Just not the 12.4(11T4) images, they require 192MB DRAM. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • Options
    RevenueRevenue Member Posts: 130
    One question to the gurus - is it worth to do the ROM upgrade on the 2610XM and 2611XM so that they support 256MB of DRAM? I already have the DRAM. I found the ROM upgrade on Ebay for $40.00 per router. I have 12.4(17a) images (advanded IP, advanced Enterprise, advanced Security) that do fit on 128MB DRAM. Just not the 12.4(11T4) images, they require 192MB DRAM. Any advice would be appreciated.

I would like to know this too :D Any suggestions?
  • Options
    LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    Ebay or pretty much any place that sells Cisco stuff.

My equipment usually comes with them, but I picked up some extra when I got my skeletek rack: http://www.dantraknet.com/index.php?cPath=31&osCsid=157118b775c9d34b1bb51509719720b9

I love my Skeletek rack... Serves me VERY well.
  • Options
    eleguaelegua Member Posts: 282
    Hi,

I think this is old but just want to say, i have one 2600 series running 12.4 IOS in my lab and it's running very stable, i installed this IOS because the SSH v2 is not available in olders versions, i usually do lab from out of my house (my children don't let me at home) and i use all the time ssh (no telnet) to get access to my access server (2610) that is running 12.4 with ssh v2 support.

Hope this help. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif