Options

How Do I Set Up Printer And File Sharing

telecomops101telecomops101 Member Posts: 128
I have three computers all running Windows XP Professional. They are all networked through a 4 port Linksys Cable/DSL router and I am connected to Cablevision for my ISP. I have never done this before and was wondering if someone could write out the steps to set up file and printer sharing among all computers. Thanks in advance
"Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence."

Comments

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813936

I know this is for home edition, but it's going to be pretty similar setting up a workgroup with file and print sharing for pro. This should get you started.

Your going to have to put these computers on the same workgroup.

Put the same users with the same passwords on each computer.

Make sure you can ping around and have connectivity.

Give the users permissions to the shared folders.

Enable file and print sharing in tcp/ip properties.

Make sure netbios over TCP is enabled.

run the network setup wizard.

Make sure any and all software firewalls have netbios ports enabled. I think 138?

these steps must be performed on all computers.
    These are just some steps to think about but definately not everything. From my experiences with setting up home networks on a workgroup is that permissions issues are VERY prevalent. Good luck
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you're not sharing anything sensitive, just assign read or full control to "everyone", and you won't have to deal with permissions.

You're biggest hangup will likely be the firewall. Usually you just have to create an exemption for file and print sharing and not deal with specific ports. SMB/CIFS uses 139 and/or 445 I believe.