Between Network+ and CCNA?

akinyemiakinyemi Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Why is there a BIAS towards CCNA against NETWORK+ at the job market? I still find people asking me when i am going to get my CCNA though i show them my NETWORK+! icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif [/b]
OK! Do wish i can get more certifications!

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    It is not like those two certs are the same. There is some overlap but that's 20% max. (Networking Basics parts of the CCNA exam corresponds somewhat with the Network+ exam topics.) CCNA goes much further, and focusses on basic router configurations and real subnetting which both are way beyond Network+.
  • GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    I'd say the fact that Network+ is vendor neutral might also be a factor. Considering that everyone uses Cisco (you can't use the internet without sending a packet or 2 across atleast 50 different Cisco machines), the Cisco specific aspects of CCNA, are probably the big seller for the cert.
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
    I agree, that's probably an issue too. I guess Network+ is a good intro for further study, it will seldom lead to a job.
  • akinyemiakinyemi Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    icon_sad.gif Oh So if my cert is not market relevant, then why did i go to those lenght to spend $$ and those hours to get it. It's not as if i did not have the knowledge covered...? icon_confused.gif
    OK! Do wish i can get more certifications!
    To get an excellent basis for further networking related studies.

I'm not saying it is not market relevant, just not enough on its own.
  • bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    a+ and n+ won't get you a high-flying job. even a regular position will normally require ccna or mcse. mcsa probably isn't enough. or atleast for those who don't have a degree icon_sad.gif

my m$ studies have waned a lot of recent, but a+ and n+ helped me get to grips with some background elements. i'm sure it's the same for cisco exams - a+ and n+ will give you what you need to build on.
    A+ Moderator
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The CCNA also tests on specific knowledge of the operation and configuration of two Cisco network devices, while the Network+ requires no hands-on demonstration of hardware experience.

This fact alone is a considerable difference between Network+ and the CCNA.
  • SartanSartan Inactive Imported Users Posts: 152
    The new CCNA1 3.0 curriculum is brutal... Network+ doesn't even come *remotely* close to it.
    No examples are needed. I dont even think Network+ requires you to subnet. If i was a hiring manager, I wouldn't hold Network+ up too high, but I still would require it for a help desk job.
    Network Tech student, actively learning Windows 2000, Linux, Cisco, Cabling & Internet Security.