CBT Question

ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,

I have a colleague who is considering purchasing the CBT Nuggets training for the CCNP for his company so that a couple of his people can work on their CCNPs.

He was asking me if I knew how good they were in addition to Cisco Press or for that matter how do they stand up on their own?

I have used some of their stuff as a supplement for studying some of the Microsoft stuff but not for Cisco. Has anyone used their entire CCNP training package and if so how comprehensive did you find it to be?

I told my colleague I would ask the "experts" on here to see if there might be a prevailing opinion.

Thanks in advance icon_wink.gif
I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I haven't used the whole set (yet) but I am using the BSCI ones and they are very good in my opinion. I didn't use them for BCMSN but I will be using them for the ISCW and ONT. I think Jermey Cioara does a good job of realting topics to common world scenarios and good configuration examples. If work is paying for them I would definitley go for it. It helps to have the nuggets, but they are not all inclusive and shouldn't be used as a sole source of study, but I'm sure you know that already.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Steve10393Steve10393 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I haven't seen the ISCW one yet but I've seen all of the other ones and am using the BSCI at this very moment. Agree with what the guy above me said and I would add that I also really like how he consoles in and out of different windows frequently so your transition from explanation to implementation is pretty straight forward.

He does leave stuff out if you are trying to pass the test, but my general feel of them is that you get maybe..... 75% coverage of the material with it?
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys for the input. Well the CBT Nuggets would probably be used as introductory material before either taking an Official Cisco course using the Official Courseware or perhaps just using the Cisco Press Self-Study and Exam Certification series as well as hands on with a lab setup.

I suspected that they would not be all inclusive but would do a nice job of setting a solid framework for more formalized study. I think from what you have both said the CBT Nuggets should at least do that, correct?

Thanks guys! icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Oh yeah they will do that. If the guys have a solid networking background (which I'm guessing they do going for the CCNP) they will benifit from them. I know I have. The OSPF section was very nice indeed. I haven't used any other video training, and I don't feel the need to as I am impressed by the CBT Nuggets.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cool, now you have piqued my interest. I had heard that Jeremy was an excellent instructor and had a knack for explaining complex topics with more commonplace analogies.

I am all for someone who can drive home an important concept by using an analogy. I know an instructor who explained where to place ACLs by using the concept of a traffic cop hiding on a Nortth/South running freeway looking for certain types of people. I won't go into all the details but it really helped drive home the point.

Anyway, now I am curious to see just how good he is! icon_wink.gif

Get the CBT nuggets if you can. Well worth the $$$$