Options

how to pass 640-801? please help

cutequenchercutequencher Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
ive taken 640-801 last october, but i failed with score of 809. i didnt read any books or take any practice exams... i only rely on my stock knowledge, and I am also familiar with router and switch configurations for i am a ccna student. but then my knowledge wasnt enough... im going to take it again on nov 26... any help or suggestions would be appreciated. thanx!

Comments

• Options
    kenny504kenny504 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 237 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well for the record the 640-801 exam has expired as of November 6th or 7th . So your deadline for the 26th is a little off, by about 20 days or so.

You need to get your hands on the new study guide for the 640-802 examination, not much has changed since the last exam execpt wireless topics and others. Basically its good to visit the website to see exactly where to go.

Good luck and again after a year it'll probably be wise to get some study guides even with all the knowledge and practical experience you still need theory as it counts towards some questions also.
    There is no better than adversity, every defeat, every loss, every heartbreak contains its seed. Its own lesson on how to improve on your performance the next time.
  • Options
    kenny504 wrote:
    Well for the record the 640-801 exam has expired as of November 6th or 7th . So your deadline for the 26th is a little off, by about 20 days or so.

You need to get your hands on the new study guide for the 640-802 examination, not much has changed since the last exam execpt wireless topics and others. Basically its good to visit the website to see exactly where to go.

Good luck and again after a year it'll probably be wise to get some study guides even with all the knowledge and practical experience you still need theory as it counts towards some questions also.

-- i am a ccna student... i can still take the exam until first quarter of 2009, so no problem with that... the thing is how can i pass?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Your exam report should have a score breakdown by topic.

Work on your weak areas, but also review your strong areas so you don't lose those points.

I had posted these suggestions in an earlier CCNA thread:
    mikej412 wrote:
    If the troubleshooting topics got you, check out the so close but so far away thread for some troubleshooting links.

If Implementation & Operation got you, check out this thread and the thread I linked to in there.

Those two topics are the 2 big "hands-on" topics -- usually you need more lab work if those are your lowest scoring areas.

The other 2 topics are more "book learnin'" but something like those "Reference Sheets" you can get from Cisco Press now (PDF files) might be enough of a focused review to get you by.

Figure your "first Cisco Exam Jitters" might have cost you a few points.... so if you're within 50-60 points of passing, you could try after the 5 day waiting period. If you were short 100 points or more you'd definitely have to be motivated (and study hard all weekend) to try and beat the 6 November cut-off for the 640-801

If you are a CCNA Network Academy Graduate -- you do get extra time.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mrjmrj Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Study study study, not much more to say about it.

I received an 809 also on 11-5-07, but I can't retake the 801, so I'm studying for the 802. Well, I should be. Failing the 801 annoyed the hell out of me and I've been too burnt out to study since the test.
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:

Work on your weak areas, but also review your strong areas so you don't lose those points.

mikej412 wrote:
    If the troubleshooting topics got you, check out the so close but so far away thread for some troubleshooting links.

If Implementation & Operation got you, check out this thread and the thread I linked to in there.

Those two topics are the 2 big "hands-on" topics -- usually you need more lab work if those are your lowest scoring areas.

The other 2 topics are more "book learnin'" but something like those "Reference Sheets" you can get from Cisco Press now (PDF files) might be enough of a focused review to get you by.

Figure your "first Cisco Exam Jitters" might have cost you a few points.... so if you're within 50-60 points of passing, you could try after the 5 day waiting period. If you were short 100 points or more you'd definitely have to be motivated (and study hard all weekend) to try and beat the 6 November cut-off for the 640-801

thanks mike! you actually got it right! troubleshooting is my weakness... i only got 55% on that, also i have difficulties on answering questions with regard to trunking. ay suggestion?
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    mikej412 wrote:

mikej412 wrote:

thanks mike! you actually got it right! troubleshooting is my weakness... i only got 55% on that, also i have difficulties on answering questions with regard to trunking. ay suggestion?

Ya, get at least 2 switches and a router. Then you can configure all kinds of trunking.

Its a bummer, but that is what worked for me. Well I have not taken the test yet, but I have done plenty of trunking labs.

I guess there might be a simulator for this, but I don't have/use one to study this.

The other bummer is that Dynamips doesn't really support switches all that well.

But a couple of switches and a router is not that expensive. Be sure to get a router that will support the whole intervlan routing thing.

For me getting machines to talk to each other across vlans via a router really made trunking much clearer for me...

Thats my two cents at least.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    mrj wrote:
    Study study study, not much more to say about it.

I received an 809 also on 11-5-07, but I can't retake the 801, so I'm studying for the 802. Well, I should be. Failing the 801 annoyed the hell out of me and I've been too burnt out to study since the test.

cant tell you anything dude! where on the same situation... i hope next time well talk we both already passed!
  • Options
    liven wrote:
    mikej412 wrote:

mikej412 wrote:

Ya, get at least 2 switches and a router. Then you can configure all kinds of trunking.

Its a bummer, but that is what worked for me. Well I have not taken the test yet, but I have done plenty of trunking labs.

I guess there might be a simulator for this, but I don't have/use one to study this.

The other bummer is that Dynamips doesn't really support switches all that well.

But a couple of switches and a router is not that expensive. Be sure to get a router that will support the whole intervlan routing thing.

For me getting machines to talk to each other across vlans via a router really made trunking much clearer for me...

Thats my two cents at least.

-- i cant afford to buy such devices... all i can do is to use some simulator... i got semsim and boson... i also got packet tracer-> but not actually use it.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    troubleshooting is my weakness... i only got 55% on that, also i have difficulties on answering questions with regard to trunking. ay suggestion?
    Get as much hands on practice as you can if you have a school lab.

Go back over the Academy courseware labs, and make sure you understand the lessons you were supposed to learn from doing the labs. Sometimes people just follow the instructions and "walk through" the labs -- but don't "learn the lesson."

You can also use the Search function here to search the Forums. Go to the search page and search for switchport mode trunk -- search for all words, and limit the search to just the CCNA forum. That should give you a list of CCNA Forum Threads -- and reading some of those threads could help with your trunking questions.

Don't forget to check the old 640-801 exam page -- check it out and make sure you're comfortable with all the topic, but especially the ones in your weak area(s).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    troubleshooting is my weakness... i only got 55% on that, also i have difficulties on answering questions with regard to trunking. ay suggestion?
    Get as much hands on practice as you can if you have a school lab.

Go back over the Academy courseware labs, and make sure you understand the lessons you were supposed to learn from doing the labs. Sometimes people just follow the instructions and "walk through" the labs -- but don't "learn the lesson."

You can also use the Search function here to search the Forums. Go to the search page and search for switchport mode trunk -- search for all words, and limit the search to just the CCNA forum. That should give you a list of CCNA Forum Threads -- and reading some of those threads could help with your trunking questions.

Don't forget to check the old 640-801 exam page -- check it out and make sure you're comfortable with all the topic, but especially the ones in your weak area(s).

thanks mike! ill do everything you've said... and hope ill pass.