Options

I need some help with folder permissions

nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
I have a shared folder that domain users/authenticated users have access to. For some reason two users who are domain users cannot save files to the folder. It tells them access is denied but when when I check the file permissions. Domain users have permissions in that folder. Any help plz
My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
http://techintuition.com/

Comments

• Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First, make sure that Share Permissions are set to either Everyone or Authenticated Users and set to Full Control.

Are there any explicit deny permissions? Have you done a gpupdate on the users? Are they logging into their machine prior to having a network connection?
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check share and security (NTFS) permissions, remember the most restrictive between those two will apply.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just to follow up on what he said and I hinted at, Msft Best Practice is to set Share permissions to Full Control for Everyone or Authenticated Users and then lock permissions down with NTFS permissions.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    RTmarc wrote:
    Just to follow up on what he said and I hinted at, Msft Best Practice is to set Share permissions to Full Control for Everyone or Authenticated Users and then lock permissions down with NTFS permissions.

Actually, that is a best practice in the real world, but I don't think it's the official Microsoft way. Here are MS Best Practices for Shared Folders:
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/75d63fcc-de6f-4fb9-8036-2cfafb6c05971033.mspx?mfr=true
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sometime it is very difficult to track down the right and permission when you are the one that setup the SVR or directory.

I have a similar problem right now that I'm getting a headache on.

I have a user that not able to access a MS Access database at the Windows 2003 SVR. I wasn't the one that setup the directory and folder. I double check the profile for the other user that have do the same job, but no luck for my user to login the DB.

I checked the permission and right on the user, I checked the folder and everything look good. Now, I need to hunt down the "deny access." in the directory that STOP a user to access the DB. It take time to find them when no support docuement and I need to fix it.

Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn