Options

Telnet page breaks

Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194
I am using the Telnet command through Windows to connect to an 8-9 year old cisco router - I'm not sure of the model off hand, but it's running IOS version 11.2 or 11.3 (not 12.3).

When checking my configuration using 'show run', or using any other command that displays more than one screenful of text, I only receive the first screenful of information; I don't get a "MORE" option to hit the spacebar and see the following screens. The rest of the information is cut off.

I am told this occurs because Telnet interprets the router's page break character as the end of data, rather than that there is really more data after the page break.

Ultimately, I am trying to find a way to view the full configuration file of a router using Windows' native telnet command. I have searched online but haven't found anything useful. Is there a command I can enter on the router that will disable it from sending page breaks? Or a configuration setting I can change on my system that will enable telnet to respond to the page break characters in a way which will allow me to see more than the first screenful of text?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would maybe try hyperterminal instead of telnet.
    I'm no expert though, it's just a thought... icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am told this occurs because Telnet interprets the router's page break character as the end of data, rather than that there is really more data after the page break.

That's strange...I've used Windows Telnet many times and I've always had the page break...

Do you have a console cable? Can you try that? Does the vty lines have any config on them?
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Without having to troubleshoot your system or advise on terminal apps just change the term len, i.e. #term len 0 , then you will get the whole config.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've done it with a console cable, so I know that works if I have to do it that way, but my objective is to do it with telnet. Thank you, Ed; I'll try that.
  • Options
    EdTheLad wrote:
    Without having to troubleshoot your system or advise on terminal apps just change the term len, i.e. #term len 0 , then you will get the whole config.

Ed, out of curiosity (and totally not knowing) where would you enter this, after you telnet to the box? Or, before you telnet?

I'm not familiar with the command, so just wanting to know if it's a Windows command or a Cisco command... icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    srgsrg Member Posts: 140
    r_durant wrote:
    EdTheLad wrote:

I'm not familiar with the command, so just wanting to know if it's a Windows command or a Cisco command... icon_redface.gif

It's a Cisco command.
  • Options
    Thanks...