Options

HOME LAB UPGRADE

kadshahkadshah Member Posts: 388 ■■■□□□□□□□
I need to get a router that will support SDM. Which 2600 model and IOS version should I get?
At home I already have 2x2500 and a 1900 switch. Yeah I know this is ancient stuff
but that's all I can afford right now. I might also get a 12 port 2950 switch. Which
IOS version should I get?

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    kadshah wrote:
    I need to get a router that will support SDM. Which 2600 model and IOS version should I get?
    At home I already have 2x2500 and a 1900 switch. Yeah I know this is ancient stuff
    but that's all I can afford right now. I might also get a 12 port 2950 switch. Which
    IOS version should I get?

From Derek's link in your other thread
    • Cisco 2610XM, 2611XM, 2620XM, 2621XM, 2650XM, and 2651XM and Cisco 2691 Multiservice Platforms:
    • Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2(15)ZJ3, 12.2(11)T6, or 12.3(1)M

I don't see a "cheap SDM solution among the supported routerx (maybe a 1700 series?)..... but Dynamips may be an option if you have access to a supported IOS image (the 2691, and a couple 3700 versions)
    • Cisco 3725 and 3745 Multiservice Access Routers:
    • Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2(15)ZJ3, 12.2(11)T6, or 12.3(1)M

For the switch IOS, you can download the updates from the Cisco Website with just a guest level Cisco login. (check around page 22 of the Matt George IOS guide).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
  • Options
    arcaniumarcanium Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i am willing to allow access to my lab for anyone that needs to play with sdm or ssh, i dont have an access server but telnet is an option if anyone needs it
  • Options
    CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
    arcanium wrote:
    i am willing to allow access to my lab for anyone that needs to play with sdm or ssh, i dont have an access server but telnet is an option if anyone needs it

Hell of an offer right there.
    And thats one of the best 5 seconds i have ever wasted.
    A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
    Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cessation wrote:
    arcanium wrote:

Hell of an offer right there.
    And thats one of the best 5 seconds i have ever wasted.

You read slow icon_wink.gif

You can use Dynamips, all you need to do is connect one of the router interfaces to a MS loopback adapter on your PC and you're all set.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dang it mike, ya beat me too it agian!!!

Yeah the quick way of getting out of this is to run a 3725 on dynamips and use SDM that way.

But if you want to purchase one, go with the 2610XM or 1700 series (keep in mind 1700's CANNOT do SSH with any ios) Cisco removed ssh due to performance issues (or so they say) in the 1700 series routers...

Gotta get meh 2 pennys in icon_lol.gif
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    dtlokee wrote:

You can use Dynamips, all you need to do is connect one of the router interfaces to a MS loopback adapter on your PC and you're all set.

I connected a straight through cable from the ethernet port on the back of the router directly to the NIC on my PC didn't work.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kadshah wrote:
    dtlokee wrote:

I connected a straight through cable from the ethernet port on the back of the router directly to the NIC on my PC didn't work.

When I use Dynamips on my laptop I have installed several Microsoft Loopback Adapters (virtual network cards) that I use to connect the virtual routers in Dynamips to my computer so I can generate traffic into the network, or in the case of sdm use my web browser to connect to it.

If you're going to run dynamips, you don't need a 3725 to run SDM, any router IOS that is compatible will work. I prefer to run IOS versions that are less CPU and memory intensive than 3725, it allows you to run more routers in the virtual lab (and yes it is a killer PC, I just don't feel like becoming CPU bound to say "I'm running 3725's instead of a 3640")

As for the connection to a physical router, you would need a crossover cable to connect the PC to the router in most cases, what model router are you using?
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    I have a (C2500-I-L) IOS ver 12.1 <18> and a 3000 (IGS-D-L) IOS ver 10.3.<5>
    SDM doesn't support 2500 right? I don't want to go out
    and spend more money for a 2600 router cause the only
    thing I need to work on for the exam is SDM, IPv6 and CNA.
    Don't know how much of this stuff is covered on the exam
    but I'd like to be prepared for it.
  • Options
    arcanium wrote:

This is very nice of you. Could you PM me with info on how this can be done?