Sample lab topology/configurations

techster79techster79 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,

I'm studying for the CCNP(currently BSCI). I have the exam certification books, and running dynamips for my lab. I'm trying to master EIGRP/OSPF now before moving onto IS-IS, multicast, IPv6, etc. Does anyone have a good lab setup/config that is handy for studying these topics? I have a X2 5200+ with 2GB of ram and can run around 8-12 routers before it starts crawling. I need more memory to push it up to 15 or so, but I digress...
Studying for MCSE: Server Infrastructure (70-414 left)

Comments

• Ferret999Ferret999 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Get the BSCI self study guide it has a really good lab topology in it and lab exercises at the end of each chapter.
  • tmlerdaltmlerdal Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    when I was working on the BSCI, I setup 4 routers in one big loop. Then picked on one to watch the routing table with different ospf area types as well as eigrp path selections. Nothing too specific, but watched debugs, routing table, and adjacency tables.
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey pea brain :D maybe you would be interested in the lab portfolios that are supposed to be the new lab companion guides.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26520

They come out Jan8th. I know i'll picking them up.

http://www.informit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=1587132141
    tmlerdal wrote:
    when I was working on the BSCI, I setup 4 routers in one big loop. Then picked on one to watch the routing table with different ospf area types as well as eigrp path selections. Nothing too specific, but watched debugs, routing table, and adjacency tables.

Thats it? Can the BSCI really be adequately studied for with only 4 routers?
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • techster79techster79 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tmlerdal wrote:

No frame relay configuration? How did you study all the OSPF topologies? The only way path selections would change is to tweak the K values or change bandwidth. I saw an example in one of the EIGRP chapters of routers rung together in a pentagon style with a fast, longer path over the top and a shorter, slower path on the bottom. Is there anyway I can upload and post an image of the configs I use?
    Studying for MCSE: Server Infrastructure (70-414 left)
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You could do it with four routers. You would have to use a lot of loopbacks to create more networks and areas. I have nine routers (one as frame switch). I usually only set up about four of them when doing labs though. I'm doing BGP now which is fun to use all the routers and have differnt ASs with differnt IGPs running. Its better to have more routers, but four would be doable for sure.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.