Options

Windows 98 help

BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
2 questions for you guys. It's been so long since I have messed with 98, I am unsure. I have a friend who got the error:

msvcrt.dll is linked to ntdll.dll: you must reinstall windows 98

I am walking him thru this over the phone (and upgrading to xp isnt an option due to applications he has)

He cant get to safe mode but can get to c: prompt (I was going to try SFC but thats not working from cmd prompt)

my question is can he reinstall 98 without losing data files? I know you wont with xp. you just have to reinstall applications. his drive isnt partitioned out and he has everything on there (with no backups icon_eek.gif

If it were xp i would feel confident telling him that reinstalling xp he wouldnt lose data but 98 I just cant remember that far back icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks guys and hope everyone has a good Turkey Day
Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

Comments

• Options
    thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    You can do an in-place install of Win98 that is similar to a repair install of XP. Re-writes Windows files but you should not lose app's or data.

Someone *cough*older*cough* could provide you with more info icon_wink.gif

-Travis
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    The MSVCRT.dll file for the wrong OS (probably WinNT 4 or Win2K) has been installed on the Win98 computer. Reboot the Win98 system to DOS and copy the MSVCRT.dll file from the Win98 setup CD over every MSVCRT.dll on the hard drive. That will fix the problem.
    theseman wrote:
    Someone *cough*older*cough* could provide you with more info icon_wink.gif
    Oh please... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    or you could explain that windows 98 is so old and that a new machine would be nice

Virtual PC could be the answer to the win 98 app that is needed on the machine

Lee H
  • Options
    BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys.

Yes, I have tried and tried to get him to upgrade, but he uses Autocad and his copies only works for 98 because the newer versions are apparently a lot of $$$

I believe he owes me some beer for this..... :D

Thanks again
    Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think I used to fix a lot of W98 boot errors by booting to a command prompt only (F8 or Shift or something) and type:

scanreg /restore

You should be prompted to select one of 5 registry backups, each created on a restart on seperate days.

(Yes, JD and me are old enough to remember this).
    All things are possible, only believe.