Options

TFTP server suggestions

Bob_the_GoonBob_the_Goon Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Can you use any TFTP server software with Cisco routers? If so which ones do you recommend, preferably free ones?!

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Any TFTP should work if you configure it (and the network) properly. Solarwinds and Pumpkin are the two most suggested.

This How to Setup a TFTP Server thread is in the CCNA FAQ
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Smashing.

I didn't notice the TFTP sticky. Thanks very much for the info.
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Best TFTP config ever!!!

Buy a Cobalt RAQ server off ebay, set it up with linux and run tftp on it. "stricktly a tftp server"

really small rackmount, only 300mhz 128mb ram, works like a charm :)
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You could take any old PC, install Linux on it, and setup a TFTP server that way. I would recommend using Solar Windows TFTP server, that is what I use anyway.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    I like the idea of having a Cobalt RAQ making my rack look pretty. Very pragmatic. However, I need to buy some more Cisco kit first, and then there's Xmas presents to think about after that! I think the Cobalt idea will have to wait until New Year/January pay check!!! :D
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    hmm...having a dedicated TFTP server is sort of overkill isn't it?

I just have a Win98 VM running Solarwind...32MB of virtual memory and it works like a charm!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

I just have a Win98 VM running Solarwind...32MB of virtual memory and it works like a charm!

Thats what I was thinking. I just run SolarWinds or Pumpkin TFTP on my laptop. I don't think you will need to TFTP enough files in a lab enviroment to warrent a dedicated TFTP server.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□

Thats what I was thinking. I just run SolarWinds or Pumpkin TFTP on my laptop. I don't think you will need to TFTP enough files in a lab enviroment to warrent a dedicated TFTP server.

Agreed, you don't need a dedicated tftp server in a lab, most of the time you rebuild the lab so often it the IP addressing scheme changes and you lose connectivity to the tftp server anyhow. It's not worth all the trouble when you can make one of your routers act as a tftp server for lab purposes.

Now if you work in a company as a config tech where all you do is transfer images onto routers all day, then a dedicated tftp server might make sense. I would use ftp in this case anyhow, far faster.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    Best TFTP config ever!!!

Buy a Cobalt RAQ server off ebay, set it up with linux and run tftp on it. "stricktly a tftp server"

really small rackmount, only 300mhz 128mb ram, works like a charm :)

You know I got an old cobalt sitting around...

Perhaps I should set it up like you suggested....

Thanks!
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah the cobalt works great for me. Of course its overkill but if your a geek like me then overkill is just another word in the english language.

I actually host alot of images and configs on my tftp server and I save alot of my configs. And then i can recall them at later times to continue labs. I do not have to worry about starting solarwinds everytime I want to load a different IOS or config.

Besides you can pick a cobalt up off ebay for about 20-30 bucks typically, its a really small unit. fits in a rack pretty easy and dosent take up space.

Also I'm picky about how nice my rack looks. I do not want a big bulky white box sitting next to my rack. I like my pretty blue raq icon_lol.gif
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    vjsousavjsousa Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You can use the solarwinds TFTP server software. It works great.

http://www.solarwinds.com/products/
    Vinny
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Pumpkin has saved my skin more times this year than I care to list. It's such a small program you don't even realise it's installed, it's the best. You need it installed on a laptop or client connected to your lab.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    determinedgermandeterminedgerman Member Posts: 168
    I have to give my vote to pumpkinTFTP as well.

Easy to install and very small....always good to have it on your flash drive for easy access on the road!
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    five stars to both pumpkin and solarwinds!!!

used both and find them so easy to use and very user friendly!!!

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP