Options

Websense

wasadeqwasadeq Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Dear all,

I have a real problem at the workplace. I am not the Net Admin but an IT user along with others who really suffer from added network security complexity even on downloading useful material such as rapishare site and similar ones. Whenever I find good resource or so I am faced with the Websence screen blocking me from doing so. Setup has Websence, firewall, proxy ... and name it.

PLEASE tell on a way to bypass this "Alkatraz" cage if possible.
Thanks a lot.
icon_mad.gif

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You probably shouldn't be trying to get around your company policy. If you need work related sites open you should let your IT department know and I'm sure there will be no problem. If you are trying to get around websense for personal use then thats a different story. I don't think rapidshare is something that would be essential to your job, I could be wrong though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    wasadeqwasadeq Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dear,

Appreciate your kind reply. Me and many others are getting real frustrated of this and there is an inclination department-wide to look into it and modify such policies based on increasing requests lately. On personal level, yes, I would like to bypass websense and even proxy for the same purpose.

Thanks
    icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    We use websense and we will never allow access to sites like rapidshare, too much harmful content out there.

If you have a legit need you should really talk to the Websense admin... they will liekly find out if you have been attempting to circumvent the system.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I administer Websense at my job, and I have to tell you to tread carefully, Websense is a very powerful tool with many good reporting options. I've caught a few people going to Unknown Proxy sites and made an example of them.

We created a request form where I work and depending on the job and needs of an individual or group we will sometimes allow certain content or sites for that person or group.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm also admin on WebSense. We had flexible used on Internet, but if there exceed of time on the network surfing, except the IT guy that need the Internet to conduct research and other technical documentation.

Just like everyone else in here, you will get fire by doing such action. THINK BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING...
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As any admin has probably experienced (changing IT to fit user's needs), if enough people complain then things will change. If your websense setup is pretty limited then I guarantee your users are complaining too. Just keep submitted tickets or talking to your manager and their manager and something almost always changes.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's not really about "users complaining". There has to be a business case justification and management approval. If all it took was "users complaining" I wouldn't even bother having a content filter device.

When we implemented content filtering we significantly reduced the amount of malware introduced into the network. As a by-product, some bored users actually became more productive. When the temptation to play online games, shop e-Bay, or surf **** sites was eliminated they had two choices. Sleep at their desk or get some work done.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    It's not really about "users complaining". There has to be a business case justification and management approval. If all it took was "users complaining" I wouldn't even bother having a content filter device.

When we implemented content filtering we significantly reduced the amount of malware introduced into the network. As a by-product, some bored users actually became more productive. When the temptation to play online games, shop e-Bay, or surf xxxxxxx sites was eliminated they had two choices. Sleep at their desk or get some work done.

I agree. I just didn't mention that you had to have a case for your complaining. You can't ask for myspace to be unblocked because you miss your friends.

My point was that if you want certain websites unblocked then you can't just sit around and complain, and/or try to find some backdoor method. You should try to do something about it if the reason is legit.

Sorry for being unclear. :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mishra wrote:
    Sorry for being unclear. :)

Hi Mishra,

I was just replying to the thread in general to clarify for the OP that he must have a work-related need for unblocking something. I know most admins like you and the others on this forum understand that. :)

Mishra wrote:
    You can't ask for myspace to be unblocked because you miss your friends.
    But what if I really miss them? icon_cry.gif

icon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.