To the middle east this weekend

PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
I am not sure if some of your read my post about going to dubai this christmas. Well that got moved back to 2nd quarter 2008 BUT i am off to Qatar Doha this weekend for a couple of days. Have to perform a survey of a new customer site and provide solutions for their IT needs, should be good fun!

Cheers,
DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That sounds interesting. Good luck and keep us posted!
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have fun with it Pash! Just watch out for thse middle east camel spiders! icon_eek.gif

cameliraq_small.jpg
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    Have a safe trip and enjoy!

Sometimes it is nice to get away for a few days and do something different. From my experience the more you do it the less fun it gets however.

Most of my previous travelling was in the U.S./Canada and it wore me out after a while. I had an Uncle that used to travel very regularly from the U.S. to Egypt and Israel. I couldn't imagine taking a trip like that every few weeks!
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Have fun with it Pash! Just watch out for thse middle east camel spiders! icon_eek.gif

cameliraq_small.jpg

Holy mother of jesus!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • EJizzelEJizzel Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:

cameliraq_small.jpg

What the F is that, if anyone saw the new movie "The Mist" then takes a look at this you would freak out.
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    EJizzel wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:

cameliraq_small.jpg

What the F is that, if anyone saw the new movie "The Mist" then takes a look at this you would freak out.

I was thinking the same thing, although the bugs in that movie didn't look as realistic as that spider does. I hope it doesn't shot acid web. j/k icon_lol.gif
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good pay..!!!
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I remember seeing these spiders a while ago on the news; it was an apparent "hoax": http://www.hoax-slayer.com/camel-spider-hoax-email.html
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
    BeaverC32 wrote:
    I remember seeing these spiders a while ago on the news; it was an apparent "hoax": http://www.hoax-slayer.com/camel-spider-hoax-email.html

C'mon, you could've let Pash squirm a little while longer. icon_lol.gif
    Sorry Pash, I couldn't resist. :D
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The spiders are real, the email is the hoax. They are non-venomius, but the email made them out to be posionous and run at like 20mph.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ya the camera effects in that pic is what made them look big. If you look closely at the pic, the camel spider is about the size of the soldier's open hand. They grow to about 6inches in diameter which is still pretty damn big. I read they pack a painfull bite due to large mandibles but they aren't dangerous unless you are an insect.

Have fun Pash. Drink lots of water I guess. icon_lol.gif
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
    Back in the Uk where the weather is slightly different 30 degree average to 5 degree average this time of year :p It's not a humid heat though, because it's near the arabian sea you get a nice breeze for most of the day, it's nice.

Doha is a up and coming city with great potential for IT. Half of the city is a construction site, many nations deciding to do business there has caused a massive construction boom and also push the price of land and ultimately rent sky high. One of the japanese managers stationed there for our customer is paying £3000 ($6000)a month rent currently, it's a nice appartment BUT for that price it's still not cheap at all. The only thing that is cheaper in Doha than in the UK is petrol (which is dirt cheap btw), but that was to be expected.....

Although there are many traditional muslims around in Doha it seems as though it's a very relaxed atmosphere with many young arab girls and guys chosing to adopt their own style while out and about in the city.....very few seem to wear traditional muslim arabian dress.

There isnt much to do out and about unfortunately, as no drinking outside of specially "licensed" properties can happen by law. Although id reccommend the desert safari tour for 250 Qatar Rial (about £25-30), Big American 4x4 and huge sand dunes == knuckle biting fun. There are a few other good things to try we have been told, but obviously didnt have time. Ohh yes I was out there to work, but we only needed to attend a few meetings because nothing is being installed before end of Janruary :p

I would post some pictures but I have no where to host them currently.

Cheers,
  • moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I love your adventure stories icon_lol.gif
    I am back out again this weekend for the installation.

Should be good fun!
    Pash wrote:

Should be good fun!

Cool, hope you have a good time. Bring us back some camel spiders! icon_cool.gif
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Pash wrote:

Should be good fun!

Cool, hope you have a good time. Bring us back some camel spiders! icon_cool.gif

You know mark when I went sand dune trecking all I could think about was the picture of that spider you posted, I didnt wanna be seen as a big girl by our japanese guests....but i was caking it!
  • SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Pash wrote:
    You know mark when I went sand dune trecking all I could think about was the picture of that spider you posted, I didnt wanna be seen as a big girl by our japanese guests....but i was caking it!

If you recieve any packages shipped from anywhere in the UAE or UK I would advise against opening them. Revenge can be fun =).
    Schluep wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Pash wrote:

If you recieve any packages shipped from anywhere in the UAE or UK I would advise against opening them. Revenge can be fun =).

Hey now, don't be giving him any ideas! icon_eek.gif

icon_lol.gif
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I spent a few days in Qatar...HUMID as hell....I know this is late..
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have fun & enjoy the sun....
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Netstudent wrote:
    Ya the camera effects in that pic is what made them look big. If you look closely at the pic, the camel spider is about the size of the soldier's open hand. They grow to about 6inches in diameter which is still pretty damn big. I read they pack a painfull bite due to large mandibles but they aren't dangerous unless you are an insect.

Have fun Pash. Drink lots of water I guess. icon_lol.gif

Not to mention that pic shows two spiders, not one. You can see a second one that is latching to the bottom of the other spider.

Be sure to bring one home for us Pash! icon_lol.gif