Could someone point me in the right direction?

I admit right off I'm a newbie when it comes to Microsoft certs, but I've seen so much about Active Directory in job postings that I know I should learn more about it. Not sure yet if I want to carve time out to get a cert for it yet. Which leads me to my question: what cert does one get for AD? I saw in the forums that there's a 2000 and a 2003(?) Is there a link that explains the difference and what one can obtain for this, or can someone explain it? Thanks.
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    For Active Directory, your best bet is going to be MCSE, (and MCITP: Enterprise Administrator when Windows Server 2008 launches next spring).

There are two MCSE tracks:
    MCSE on Windows 2003
    MCSE on Windows 2000 (This track will be retiring as of March 31, 200icon_cool.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Active Directory is what Windows Server 2000/2003 uses to keep track of every resource in an organization. The complexity increases exponentially with the number of different users, sites, etc., and it is intertwined with pretty much any other server technology, such as Sharepoint and Exchange. 70-294 is the Active Directory exam, but that certification alone won't get you anywhere. It's just part of administering a Windows network.

As Slowhand mentioned, the 2003 MCSE and 2008 Enterprise Administrator certifications should really be your end goals if you want to administer Windows networks. I wouldn't bother with 2000 unless you have a specific need for it.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When is the MCSE 2003 track going to be retired? I'm trying to get my MCSE 2k3 with the Security specialization by February 08
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
    The 294 is part of your MCSE track. 294 is about ad. Good luck!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    When is the MCSE 2003 track going to be retired? I'm trying to get my MCSE 2k3 with the Security specialization by February 08

I don't believe they've announced anything yet. Considering the 2000 exams aren't retiring until the end of March '08, I don't think you'll have a problem obtaining your certs before they retire.

Here are the dates for retired/retiring exams: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/status/examstoretire.mspx
    dynamik wrote:

I don't believe they've announced anything yet. Considering the 2000 exams aren't retiring until the end of March '08, I don't think you'll have a problem obtaining your certs before they retire.

Here are the dates for retired/retiring exams: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/status/examstoretire.mspx

thanks.