Pop3 service missing on Exchange 2k3

paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
Figured I'd ask.... Is there any way possible to get that service back without reinstalling Exchange?

Comments

• RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The service is missing? Or is it just not running?
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    RussS wrote:
    The service is missing? Or is it just not running?

Exchange POP3 service is completely missing.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did it get left out when you installed Exchange? Can you do an add/remove components from the E2K3 CD rather than a complete reinstall?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Did it get left out when you installed Exchange? Can you do an add/remove components from the E2K3 CD rather than a complete reinstall?

You should be able to do it this way, be sure to reinstall the service pack afterwards
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    blargoe wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:

You should be able to do it this way, be sure to reinstall the service pack afterwards

Any chance of data loss for such a process? I would really prefer not to do this on a live server and I'd certainly would hate to have downtime restoring back-ups, which is why I'd like to avoid even inserting the exchange CD but if its the only way...
  • TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    The Exchange info is kept in the store and log files.

A smart bunny rabbit would be keeping them on separate disks that the OS is running.

And to answer your question, No the store will not be affected by installing POP services.

But to be extra careful, run an NT backup on it first to another set of disks.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    paintb4707 wrote:
    blargoe wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:

Any chance of data loss for such a process? I would really prefer not to do this on a live server and I'd certainly would hate to have downtime restoring back-ups, which is why I'd like to avoid even inserting the exchange CD but if its the only way...

Well how bad do you need the pop3 service? How long has the server been running w/o it?
    All things are possible, only believe.
    Well thanks everyone for your help. I even spoke to Microsoft and they say that reinstalling Exchange is the only option. icon_confused.gif
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    paintb4707 wrote:
    Well thanks everyone for your help. I even spoke to Microsoft and they say that reinstalling Exchange is the only option. icon_confused.gif

Was about to say the only option is re-installing, but looks like you just got that answer. And even if you didn't need the POP3 service, I'd still be reluctant to not re-install as that probably means there are most likely other issues that might crawl up in the future.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks