Options

Cisco 36xx PCMCIA Slot/Flash cards

yukkyyukky Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
PCMCIA Flash Card

The Cisco IOS software image can also be stored on a PCMCIA Flash card on either of the 2 available PCMCIA slots provided on the Cisco 3660, Cisco 3640 and Cisco 3620. Partitioning is also supported on the PCMCIA cards that support 8 MB or more capacity.

Two PCMCIA Flash cards are currently available: 8 MB and 16 MB.
Source

I'm not sure if anyone here as experimented with the PCMCIA slot on the 36xx series routers, but is any (non-Cisco branded) PCMCIA ATA Flash card compatible with the router? How about another type of memory such as a compact flash+pcmcia adapter? Will sizes >16MB work?
Buying hardware for a home lab is addicting-- (Need.. more.. toys...) **(need.. more.. money)

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have put 32MB cards in them, but never through an adapter of any sort. I have used different brands with no issues (usually the SMART and Viking cards.)
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    dtlokee wrote:
    I have put 32MB cards in them, but never through an adapter of any sort. I have used different brands with no issues (usually the SMART and Viking cards.)
    Are they ATA Flash or Linear Flash? Does that seem to make any difference?

BTW: Are they hot swappable, or must they be inserted before boot?
    Buying hardware for a home lab is addicting-- (Need.. more.. toys...) **(need.. more.. money)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    They are hot swappable, but I'm not sure about the difference in the types of flash.....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I've done a little research, looks like I need to get linear flash pcmcia cards specifically. The 32MB cards were detected as 32MB? Any other brands to look at besides SMART and Viking?