Computers Not Appearing in Entire Network

dpsdps Member Posts: 116
We have a Windows 2k3 domain controller and I was wondering why aren't our workstations and computers appear in the Entire Network?

I can only see the Domain Controller Server and the Exchange Server but not the workstations (40+).

TIA.
Focused and Steady.

Comments

• MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You need to provide a lot more information. What isn't show up? Where are you looking at? What do you expect? Is this a test or production environment? Did it used to work or is this from a fresh installation?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • dpsdps Member Posts: 116
    When I go to My Network Places>Entire Network>Microsoft Windows Network>OUR DOMAIN>, I can only see the Domain Controller and the Exchange Server. I *should* see all other computers, right?

We just migrated from Windows 2k to Windows 2k3 and yes, it is in a production environment. Yes, when we are still on Win2k, we can see all the workstations in the Domain.

Hope I cleared that out.
    Thanks.
    Focused and Steady.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are they members of the domain?

Do they appear in DNS?

If you browse the network from a client machine, can you see the other client machines there?
    Yes, they are members of the domain and appear in DNS.
    Nope.. can't see other computers when browsing the network from a client machine. Can only see the Domain Controller and Exchange Servers.

I can see all the machines in the network when browsing from the Domain Controller Server though.

Weird. Hope I'm not confusing everyone.

icon_confused.gif
    Focused and Steady.
  • amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    are the client firewalls off and the clients can ping one another?

are they being given their IP's by the DHCP?
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )
    are the client firewalls off and the clients can ping one another?

are they being given their IP's by the DHCP?

Yes and Yes.
    icon_sad.gif

Oh well, have to play around with it and hope I find a solution.
    I'll post it here once i find one.

Lunch time. :P
    Focused and Steady.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Have you WINS enabled? Are they all on the same subnet (if not setup WINS proxies).
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
    Update: I enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP and problem solved.
    It was originally set to Default.

Thanks for all your input. :D
    Focused and Steady.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well that would certainly help your browser services etc.

Windows is still using NetBIOS? I wonder when we will ever be set free :)
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    dps wrote:

Thanks for all your input. :D

Dang, i was a day late and a dollar short.

I had a similar issue way back working with windows 98. I couldnt figure out why all the computers wouldnt show up while i was browsing through network neighborhood. Finally figured it out and have seen similar issues like yours over the years.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Turgon wrote:
    Well that would certainly help your browser services etc.

Windows is still using NetBIOS? I wonder when we will ever be set free :)

Kinda. It's really down to how you setup your network, NetBIOS and WINS are legacy supports from 2000 up. It's not really Msoft's fault either, they've been advising the use of DFS to centralise and publish shares rather than have users browsing the network for many years now, but old habits are hard to break. Recently at work I've been trying to get everyone just using a network drive mapped to a central DFS share that maps to just about everything on the network within a few clicks and I still have folks using UNC names and sending server locations as links instead of just using the network drive for reference...the worst offenders are of course in our IT dept. icon_redface.gif
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • taktsoitaktsoi Member Posts: 224
    dps wrote:

You can also leave the option as default and install a WINS Server and DHCP server on the domain controller. Then have the DHCP server leases ip assignment along with WINS server options 44 and 46.
    mean people SUCK !!! BACK OFF !!!
    The Next Stop is, MCSE 2003 and CCNA.
    Bachelors of Technology in 1 More Year.

-Working on CCENT. Thank you my love <3