Options

GNS3 - Graphical Network Sim using Dynamips

HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
Not sure if anyone posted this before...We use this at school alot..

http://www.gns3.net/

Taken from gns3.net
What is GNS3 ?
GNS3 is a graphical network simulator that allows you to design complex network topologies and to launch simulations on them.

To allow complete simulations, GNS3 is strongly linked with :

Dynamips, an IOS emulator which allows users to run IOS binary images from Cisco Systems.
Dynagen, a text-based front-end for Dynamips.
GNS3 is a excellent complementary tool to real labs for administrators of Cisco networks or people wanting to pass their CCNA, CCNP, CCIP or CCIE certifications.

It can also be used to experiment features of Cisco IOS or to check configurations that need to be deployed later on real routers.

This project is an open source product that may be used on multiple platforms, including Windows, Linux, and MacOS X.

Features overview
Designing high quality complex network topologies.
Emulating Cisco routers.
Simulating simple Ethernet, ATM and Frame Relay switches.
Load-balancing between multiple hypervisors.
Load and save in Dynagen's INI-like format.
Image export (JPEG, PNG, BMP and XPM).

Important notice: users must provide their own Cisco IOS to use GNS3.
Now working full time!

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's the first I've heard of it. Thanks for sharing!

They have a number of videos on YouTube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=RtqGaJ_B1Ik&feature=related

Looks really interesting.
  • Options
    mrjmrj Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    GNS was pretty useless a few months ago, is it actually worth using nowadays?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I tried it out and it is pretty usless I must say. The only thing it is good for is showing you a network diagram. The ghostios feature doesn't seem to function properly either. I usually run eight routers on my laptop. With the GNS3 I could hardley run four with out maxing my RAM (even with the ghostios feature enabled).
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    Works great for us at school.

If you don't like it sorry to hear that icon_lol.gif
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    mackel beastmackel beast Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Humper, what type of systems/computers is the program running on? Do the computers have 4 gigs of ram? How many devices are running at 1 time?
  • Options
    mackel beastmackel beast Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Humper, what type of systems/computers is the program running on? Do the computers have 4 gigs of ram? How many devices are running at 1 time?