Options

Redundant cert with CCNA?

CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
I've finished CCNA and Security+, and I have some time before next semester starts, and I was considering taking the Network+ test after reviewing the materials. However, I only want to do it if it would be an advantage to me in my career search (I'm not in the networking field at all right now). I know most of what's in Network+ already, I think, but $250 for the test is a lot for me, and I wouldn't want an employer to see Network+ as just a subset of CCNA and it not be of any real benefit to me.

Anyone have any suggestions?
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    In my opinion CompTIA certifications are over priced and not very useful in a career. I'm not saying the material that is covered is useless, but you don't have to get certified to learn the material. If you have a CCNA I don't see any point in doing the Net+ unless you have A+ and want to use them as your elective for MCSA. Since you only want the certification for career advancement, I'd say it's not worth the money especially if money is tight. This is just my opinion, and I'm sure someonme will be here to defend CompTIA soon icon_lol.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    CompTIA certifications are good introductions, but I agree, they're kind of a dead-end in themselves. I found the Security+ to be enjoyable, but there was nothing I could really do with the material once I was done. My feeling was, "OK. Now I have a basic understanding of security concepts and can move on to some in-depth studies." If I see someone has a CCNA, I assume they have a good grasp of networking technologies. I'm with networker050184, I don't think it will be of any real benefit to you.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Instead of taking Network+ I would recommend A+ if you want to take a CompTIA exam. Of course it depends on what you want to do in IT. A+ won't help much except for Tech Support type jobs.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    I tend to agree. I also noticed that the past few interviews the person asked me how long I've had my Security+. Since CompTia certs are good for life, I suppose he wanted to make sure I didn't get it 20 years ago and have forgotten it all. Good think I could tell him, "I got it two days ago"(!)
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949