Options

Finally signed up to take the 292 -*Update: Passed!*

I will be taking the exam on the 20th. Wish me luck!

Update:
Just took the exam again today and passed! I should say, just barely passed, I got a 700!

Comments

• Options
    doom969doom969 Member Posts: 304
    Best of luck to you ! :D
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
    A+ - IBM - SBSS2K3 - CISCO_SMB
    CompTIA : A+
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You've heard the stories about 291, right?

They apply to 292 as well. icon_mrgreen.gif

DNS, DHCP, SUS (not WSUS), and Terminal Services are big topics.

Best of luck! icon_thumright.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck MEGADETH!

youve been quiet for a while, so I assume its because of studies.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    sprkymrk wrote:

That's too bad! I'm very familiar with WSUS but have never actually played with SUS.
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:

That's too bad! I'm very familiar with WSUS but have never actually played with SUS.

Do you have time to download and play with it for a day or two? Just to get to know it's limitations and such. I don't even remember the kinds of questions they asked, so I don't know if you might be okay just knowing WSUS. Can you even still find a copy of SUS v1? If you want to try it, but can't find it, let me know and I'll upload it somewhere for you (it's about 32MB).
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    good luck :)
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:

Do you have time to download and play with it for a day or two? Just to get to know it's limitations and such. I don't even remember the kinds of questions they asked, so I don't know if you might be okay just knowing WSUS. Can you even still find a copy of SUS v1? If you want to try it, but can't find it, let me know and I'll upload it somewhere for you (it's about 32MB).

I have 2 servers setup in a lab at home running 2K3. I'll first see if I can find a download for SUS tonight, if not then I will let you know. Thanks!
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I studied for 290 and 291 at the time they covered SUS but I used WSUS instead in my lab. As far as the exams go there isn't much difference between the two. Also, 291 is difficult but manageable. If 292 is similar to 291 difficulty wise I think you will be just fine. Good Luck!
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    Well, I didn't get to my labs until this weekend.... But, I got all my labs done except the last chapter... I will read the last chapter and do the labs before Thursday.

Anyway, Microsoft still has a download for SUS, so I was able to install it on one of my 2003 servers.... Seems like a very stripped down version of WSUS, which makes sense.... Anyway, Just from my experience with WSUS, I was able to fly through the lessons on SUS without any problems.

So far, I'm thinking my biggest problem area will be DNS, I will be revisiting that chapter again before Thursday as well.
  • Options
    Well, I guess I will be using my 2nd Shot.

Hey, for 2 weeks of studying, I felt I did pretty good.... I have to that Honestly I thought I would have passed when I hit the end exam button.... It did not seem as hard as I was expecting, but apparently it was....

Anyway, With the time off I have for Christmas, this will help me to prepare to take it again Next week.

Oh yeah, Got hammered with TS and SUS.... Didn't see one DNS question until near the very end where it seemed like all the rest were DNS.
  • Options

Hey, for 2 weeks of studying, I felt I did pretty good.... I have to that Honestly I thought I would have passed when I hit the end exam button.... It did not seem as hard as I was expecting, but apparently it was....

Anyway, With the time off I have for Christmas, this will help me to prepare to take it again Next week.

Oh yeah, Got hammered with TS and SUS.... Didn't see one DNS question until near the very end where it seemed like all the rest were DNS.

bummer icon_sad.gif

im also cramming this holiday break as well. hopefully it will pay off for both of us!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

• Options
    snadam wrote:

bummer icon_sad.gif

im also cramming this holiday break as well. hopefully it will pay off for both of us!

Yeah, hopefully... Well, Good luck to the both of us then :)
  • Options
    Well.... I guess i can relax a bit more than I thought for the Holidays....

The Next available exam date for my retake is not until January 10th!
    So, I won't be too rushed on my studying.
  • Options
    netteasernetteaser Member Posts: 198
    Keep us up to date on your exam. I will be taking the exam in 2 weeks
  • Options
    helix08helix08 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I failed twice already on this paper, I have gone through the upgrade book practice questions and transcender , first time I got 540 in the exam the questions were moderate my DNS overview wasn't clear enough, so I hit the books got a revision on DNS second time I got 590 seems only progress a little bit ...
    So not sure what I am doing wrong my head is wreck and this thing costs a fortune to be honest even with the Second short!
  • Options
    arogersarogers Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I will be taking this exam Monday the 14th. I am so nervous about the whole thing that it is making me sick! I haven't failed before and hope I never do!! I'll let you know how I go.
  • Options
    Well... I missed it yet again.

I did do better this time though.

The thing that really bugs me about this exam is that the score at the end seems way off the mark. I've seen quite a few posts from people who have both passed and failed that said that they felt they did better than the actual score.

Once I hit the end button, I thought for sure that if I was failing this one it was going to be by a few points.... Instead I got a 600.

The thing that might bother me even more is that I appear to have done well in every objective except Managing computers, users and groups....I would have thought this would be my strongest and yet I completely bombed it.

Everything else on the bar graph appeared to be at 70% or better.

So, now I have a bit of a tough choice to make......
    The second shot is still good to sign up for... as long as I take the exam by the 15th.... I would have to take the retake by the 31st.

Problem is, that for the 292 I have to wait 14 days before taking the exam again. So, should I attempt the 296 by the 15th and again on the 31st? Or continue trying to tackle the 292?

Time is running out and I know that the 296 by itself will not give me an added credential, however the 292 by itself will. So you see, I have a bit of a problem.
  • Options
    Dbutch1976Dbutch1976 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Tough call there. I thought I had failed my 2nd time also, which I had wrote 1 week ago. I remember thinking in the middle of the exam that there may be a chance that the test was just beyond my skill level. I mean doing the Trancesnders I was getting 90's and 95's, but then I sat in the exam feeling like I knew nothing at all.

Well I think it was my DNS knowledge that probably saw me through this exam. You cannot get below 650 on any topic, at least that's how it appears to me. This time I got almost a perfect on DNS because I studied it non-stop since failing last time. Transenders alone will NOT get you through this exam, I'd suggest practice questions from several difference sources.

I was lucky enough to squeak through 70-292 with a 700, but I honestly don't know what I would have done if I'd failed it. If you're getting a 600 you're obviously not far from a pass. I'd suggest cramming for 70-292 for the next 2 weeks and knocking it off for sure, I've also hear that 70-296 isn't as hard as 292, additionally your studying for 292 will help also.

Best of luck!

The thing that really bugs me about this exam is that the score at the end seems way off the mark. I've seen quite a few posts from people who have both passed and failed that said that they felt they did better than the actual score.

Once I hit the end button, I thought for sure that if I was failing this one it was going to be by a few points.... Instead I got a 600.

The thing that might bother me even more is that I appear to have done well in every objective except Managing computers, users and groups....I would have thought this would be my strongest and yet I completely bombed it.

The second shot is still good to sign up for... as long as I take the exam by the 15th.... I would have to take the retake by the 31st.

Problem is, that for the 292 I have to wait 14 days before taking the exam again. So, should I attempt the 296 by the 15th and again on the 31st? Or continue trying to tackle the 292?

Time is running out and I know that the 296 by itself will not give me an added credential, however the 292 by itself will. So you see, I have a bit of a problem.
  • Options

dang this exam sounds tough!

youll pull through though!!!

• Options
    snadam wrote:

dang this exam sounds tough!

youll pull through though!!!

Thanks.
    I think I'm going to re-read the MS press book again. After I'm done I will sign up to take the exam again. It's amazing the stuff you can pick out of a book after you have taken an exam...
    You can pick up on little things that you remember seeing and not being 100% sure of the answer at the time.
  • Options
    Dbutch1976Dbutch1976 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You're totally right. I remember there was a question about using ASR without acutally having a floppy disk attached on the exam. I was furious because I was sure that the transcenders had never even mentioned that this was possible and I felt totally unprepared for the question. Sure enough after the exam I re-did the transenders and the first question I came to was a very similar situation. It's very hard to know which concepts are actually going to be tested on the exam. The only suggestion I can make is to know everything, I know that's not going to be much comfort.

Best of luck on your next try.
  • Options
    floppydiskfloppydisk Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I failed it 3 times too.....with less than 2 months to go before this exam expires am wonder if I should go for it one more time with the "second shot" offer....otherwise it'll be MCSA 2008 all over again....

Man&Maintain a MS Win Ser 03 Env for an MCSA Cert on W2K INFOCAN COMPUTER (HONG KONG) LTD Microsoft
    070-292 P06SYD537D Failed 16-Jul-2008

Man&Maintain a MS Win Ser 03 Env for an MCSA Cert on W2K INFOCAN COMPUTER (HONG KONG) LTD Microsoft
    070-292 OFCSYD51BB Failed 6-Jul-2008

070-292 OF9SYD5261 Failed 3-Jul-2008
  • Options
    Woohoo! I passed!

This one is a beast for sure,The weirdest part about this exam is that it does not feel difficult as you go through it.
  • Options
    Woohoo! I passed!

This one is a beast for sure,The weirdest part about this exam is that it does not feel difficult as you go through it.

CONGRATS!!! Finally got that one off your plate! whats next? :D

• Options
    The 70-296 to update my MCSE.... After that, I'm undecided, all I know is that I've been working on MS certs for almost 2 years. I need a change of scenery.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    This exam was one of the few I've failed along the road to MCSE 2000/2003: Messaging. Ridiculously tough. First shot I took it, I got a 640. Second time, I kid you not, 700. I knew it was gonna be close, but it doesn't get any closer than that!

Anyway, feel proud you passed it! You've earned a nice steak dinner or the vegetarian equivalent, whatever the heck that is... icon_cool.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    Congrats mega! icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Thanks!

Oh, and I like the idea about a nice Steak Dinner... I haven't been to Texas Roadhouse in a while, sounds good to me! Hoo Ha!

The only thing now, is that I have to stay in study mode to get the 296 done... I have no idea what to expect, good thing I will have the second shot.
  • Options
    stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    Nice one Megadeth4168!

I have this one up next, I am studying the Sybex book as the MS Press one gave me a dead arm :)

I have been working on Citrix for the last few years and the MS style of questioning is radically different. I did a couple from the Sybex book and almost few asleep reading the question! I have really got to get back into the ways of the dark side icon_wink.gif

Any suggestions on getting this one in the bag? I have the Sybex book access to the CBT Nuggets videos and somewhere to play.