Options

strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

Dell 620, displays topic title message on boot, has been re-partitioned and then re-imaged

The drive is in full working order and all cables are properly connected

The image is most definitely for the 620 (incase of anyone suggesting)

I can boot into ghost and win98 boot disc's and see both partitions so i know they are right

Problem is when i have ghosted image accross onto C and then re-boot i get this message

Any ideas would be great

Lee H

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It sounds like the machine can't find boot information on the drive. Maybe you have a missing or corrupt Master Boot Record. Sometimes, this can fix your problem. What OS are you trying to load?
  • Options
    Have already tried it, same thing happened

This is a SATA drive loading XP Pro, it worked fine with W2K until i repartitioned the drive and ghosted XP onto it
  • Options
    Do you have the XP installation media? Maybe you will have more luck booting into the recovery console and trying fixmbr. It looks like fdisk /mbr is only supported on DOS 6.22-Windows ME.

Also, check your boot order. Maybe you're getting hung up on something else and it's not even going to the hd.
  • Options
    No joy dynamo

Any more ideas?
  • Options
    Just re-imaged but this time i slected the whole disk and not the partition, this has worked so i can just resize the partition using partition magic to have 2 partitions.

any ideas why the image would not work when ghosted to a partition as opose to entire disk

Lee H
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Choosing the disk operation restores the image's boot configuration/MBR etc. Partition does not.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    Ahriakin wrote:
    Choosing the disk operation restores the image's boot configuration/MBR etc. Partition does not.
    ^Bingo