Options

Need some advice .

nashutzunashutzu Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,
I have to make this network of over 30 computers plus 10 phones using voip.
All those computers plus phone will use high internet and I have a question which way should I do this:
1. get 2 routers linksys of 16 ports for local each and 2 for wan.
2. 1 router linkysys with 16 ports and then 1 switch with 24 ports.

Which one would you chose? . And:
1. if i go 1 router 1 switch when i connect the lan port from the router to the switch and ..all computers to the switch.. will the computers be able to get an ip from the dhcp that runs on the router with no problem ?
2. Which router/ swiches would you recommend.
Many thanks

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    With a 10 IP Phone system...what sort of system are you looking at? You've mentioned Linksys for Routers, so does that mean you are already looking at the LVS9000 or LinskysOne product lines? Or are you attempting to do something different?

I do hope you are not even attempting this without having at least T-1 in place. VoIP will suffer. So whatever your ISP tells you is the 'ok' minimum...if you are running a business, don't settle for the minimum, and you'll want to ensure you have a QoS Router.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    The company will use like 6 or maximum 10 for the future. The phones are Polycom 301 from iristel.com . http://www.iristel.ca/browse.php/page/53#4

The phones will need that much bandwidth? Thanks a lot. and if possible anyone can answer which option is better or if you have a better option let me know.
  • Options
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hello everyone,
    I have to make this network of over 30 computers plus 10 phones using voip.
    All those computers plus phone will use high internet and I have a question which way should I do this:
    1. get 2 routers linksys of 16 ports for local each and 2 for wan.
    2. 1 router linkysys with 16 ports and then 1 switch with 24 ports.

Which one would you chose? . And:
    1. if i go 1 router 1 switch when i connect the lan port from the router to the switch and ..all computers to the switch.. will the computers be able to get an ip from the dhcp that runs on the router with no problem ?
    2. Which router/ swiches would you recommend.
    Many thanks

I'm nothing but a poor CCNA here and there are better people to ask. But I am going out a limb here and gonna say you are not many replies as you are not providing a complete plan for them to review. We need a lot more details.

Each phone will use about 90k of bandwidth.. Round to 100k for good measure. x 10 phones going, you are already at 1meg of bandwidth and you need to leave room for network chatter, internet downloads etc...

I've never set up my own VOIP setup, but as a general rule to your questions you want more switches so you can place the phones on their own VLAN and a router that is designed for VOIP, they can give priority to the VOIP of the people just browsing the Internet.

May I ask, what is this place's plan for growth? More phones/printers/servers/workstations?
    -Daniel
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How many wan connections do you have? You are going to make your network unnecessarily complex with multiple routers if you only have one.

You might want to consider picking up a pair of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833120316

They're nice for people like me who don't have a good grasp on CLI commands yet. You can do pretty much everything through the web interface. They're pretty powerful and give you lots of options for specifying which ports use VOIP, setting up VLANs, etc.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IMHO you need to pick up a book on VoIP. What are you going to use to connect to the PSTN for outgoing calls? Are you going to manage your own Call agent server (something like CallManager Express or even Asterisk) or are you going to buy the service from your ISP? If you plan on using your own PSTN gateway you will need more than just a high speed connection to the Internet to make it all work (There's no magic involved).
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Have you considered link redundency? As was pointed out by others, VOIP isn't a magical technology, you need to consider its interface to and from PSTN and also think about quality. There is much work to be done on VOIP itself, e.g. are you going to use G.729 codec or something else? What kind of traffic will the network handle? How will other traffic affect VoIP and vice versa.

It comes down to planning than setting up just the network.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.
    1. I was thinking to go with this setup.
    a ) for switch - http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1510704&CatId=16
    b) for a router - http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1533873&CatId=198

The phones will be used only in the office not for a call center or anything. As i told you this company will provide the phone they will do all setup from them ..all I know is i have to install them on the network give them local ip address they can share the same real ip address and also access to the intrenet through the router .

Should I just connect all the phones to the router directly and the computers to the switch will that help somehow the phones to be in another network or just I just give them a different subnet and that`s all. ? Would this be a good setup for now ? The company wont grow that fast i already included all they need even if they grow a bit.. and if they grow more that`s a differenet setup..with more other servers.

2. In win2003 enterprise there is Active directory..what`s same thing but in linux ? Because I would go with a setup of linux for the AD and for the file server
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    nashutzu wrote:
    Thanks everyone.
    1. I was thinking to go with this setup.
    a ) for switch - http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1510704&CatId=16
    b) for a router - http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1533873&CatId=198

The phones will be used only in the office not for a call center or anything. As i told you this company will provide the phone they will do all setup from them ..all I know is i have to install them on the network give them local ip address they can share the same real ip address and also access to the intrenet through the router .

Should I just connect all the phones to the router directly and the computers to the switch will that help somehow the phones to be in another network or just I just give them a different subnet and that`s all. ? Would this be a good setup for now ? The company wont grow that fast i already included all they need even if they grow a bit.. and if they grow more that`s a differenet setup..with more other servers.

2. In win2003 enterprise there is Active directory..what`s same thing but in linux ? Because I would go with a setup of linux for the AD and for the file server

How are the employees going to make outside calls? A VoIP system that is not onnected to the PSTN somewhow is worthless if all that is can do is call other employees.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    nashutzu wrote:

OpenLDAP is a popular choice. Wikipedia has a good list as well.
  • Options
    thanks for all ure recomandation any recomandation on a cheap Cisco router that will connect to the switch for the computers to have net ? thanks
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    dtlokee wrote:

How are the employees going to make outside calls? A VoIP system that is not onnected to the PSTN somewhow is worthless if all that is can do is call other employees.

I liked the way you put it icon_lol.gif