Options

My CCNA 802 Lab for 2008 is done! Check it out! Newbies

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
http://itdaddy(dot)blog(nospace here)spot(dot)com/2007/07/this-is-my-home-ccna-lab.html

hey newbies, (if you veterans can show your lab that would be great for us newbies too!)
we want to see your hard work! and how cool your lab looks. Maybe us newbies can gets some ideas..

I got my CCNA 802 lab all ready for study! I am only using this site to show my pics
not to advertise anything so you cannot click onit just copy it and retype the places
in brackets where I spell the characters out. but check my new labl out.

I do need to get some VOIP...that is kind what I am looking for. Not sure what kind
of decent setup I can create for a home or what I even need?? for a basic setup to
understand VOIP?? any ideas vets?? thanks

I am excited to get it going...I do want to get an ISDN sim just because believe it
or not many people still use ISDN for failover from frame-relay at least in my po dung town.
hahaha! :D

I hope you get some ideas!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!

Robert (aka IT DADDY)

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not bad, you don't need the transceivers on the 2520's they have a built in Ethernet interface :)
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    mcmastermcmaster Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nice setup. One of these days I too shall go out and purchase a whole lot of Cisco gear. Particularly when I start prepping for my CCNP and above. However, being part of a Cisco Academy, I used their software Packet Tracer which allows you to build simulation virtual cisco networks. Its not real but its definitely close to the real thing as in configuration and testing of setups etc.
  • Options
    dtlokee

oooops !!!!!!!!!!!!!!10bt you are right; I am still a newby MY bad!! LOL...( i have them for looks! haahahah) (i have bad eyes and just went for it. thanks now i am just looking for a voip system that i can afford..

i use Vmware for all my subnetted clients... saves on having tons of PCs in my house..and
    $$overhead!

thanks... :D
    ========================
    mcmaster

it has taken me awhile but i have used both virtual cisco type software and real machines as you see, but i like the real the best,but i think virtual is almost as good (never ever use BOSON)
    waste of money..i bought there ccan 802 software 200.00 (i know guys i have gotte ripped off i know iknow) hahha LOL..
    but it is crap! so many bugs and get this; you pay each year to redo your license it i leased
    software, you never own it! trust me BOSON sucks!

but i have used other software sims that are pretty good. it has taken some work and watching ebay like a mad dog to get my stuff... my last piece for ccna is my voipsystem. not sure what to get for my ccna level. but will look around.

===========================

merry christmas dudes and happy newyear to you all!
    this has been a great forum and you all are cools dude even if you give me $$$hit!
    hahahhah LOL seee you next year!
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Nice lab you have building there. I don't have any pics of mine to share, but its growing.

You can also use loopbacks to simulate clients/networks. You can advertise them just like physical interfaces.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    itdaddy wrote:
    I do need to get some VOIP...that is kind what I am looking for. Not sure what kind of decent setup I can create for a home or what I even need?? for a basic setup to understand VOIP?? any ideas vets??
    Start off with one voice router -- either an MC3810-V3 or MC3810 with 64Mb DRAM and 16Mb Flash or a 1700 series router.

You can check out some of the overpriced 1760-V models on eBay (you can build your own from pieces cheaper) to get an idea of how to trick out your voice router. The lower level models also work fine when you toss in a PVDM DSP module and VIC cards (like the VIC-2FXO and VIC-2FXS).

If you get an MC3810, try and get one with all the pieces already installed, like with 2 FXO ports and 2 or 4 FXS ports (or 3 and 3, or 2 FXO and 2FXS and 2E&M) and the Voice Compression Module. If it has the MFT-T1 that's even better for later.

You can start with one or two analog phones and one or two IP Phone like the Cisco 7940. I just grabbed 2 more 7940s for $40 each off eBay -- couldn't pass them up at that price. The 7960s are also good -- but people have been bidding them up over $100 each again.

That should be good through the CCNP Voice stuff. You won't need more unless you go for the CCVP.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    yukkyyukky Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What's a good price for the MC3810's? Not too familiar with this item, but looks like it's from the 2500 era.

P.S. might want to clean up your cables a bit :D looks like rainbow spaghetti.
    Buying hardware for a home lab is addicting-- (Need.. more.. toys...) **(need.. more.. money)
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    yukky wrote:
    What's a good price for the MC3810's? Not too familiar with this item, but looks like it's from the 2500 era.
    Back when I was doing the CCVP I would have been happy to get a good one for $125.... but then I finally got my first 2 around $50 each. The recent ones I got (1 MC3810 and 2 MC3810-V3) were about $40. I had to upgrade the memory and flash on the MC3810s (you want 64/16) and you might have to do a ROM upgrade.

I mentioned in the CCVP forum -- you have to be careful -- some people sell an empty chassis, and it would cost you more than building a 1760-V from parts to make the MC3810 useful again. There had been "parts grab bags" for the 3810s in the past, but not recently. Now all the individual pieces are available but seem to be priced as replacement parts for the MC3810s still in production environments.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412

way late on replying but thank you big mike appreciate you and you valuable input!
    dude your rock man!

Robert ;) (aka itdaddy )
    :D
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well I have to admit, I love your use of cd cases...
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice lab bud... I'll take a picture of mine soon, and show you guys my redundant array that I configured...

Hopefully I can start gathering my stuff for Cisco...
  • Options
    EmpathyEmpathy Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    "It cost me about $1500.00 USD for my entire lab."

icon_exclaim.gif

Yikes! I can't afford that until I actually get a job in IT first! Nice lab though.
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Hi Robert,

Thanks for sharing your lab with us. And yes, I got some ideas. I have been trying to decide how I want to stack my devices and your excellent display helps a lot.

Also, thanks for the picture of you and your son. We're not just geeks, but we have family too!

Good luck on your studies and exam.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    mgeorge27

you saw my cd case huh good eye man! didnt knwo what to do so i used 3mm tape double sides to keep the gap for the fans to circulate air; kind of geery riggeds but i am working on
    new better ideas so i can move in and out the devices this works for now..
    i am looking for a nice rack but may just build my own..kind of make ship but
    it gets the job done! but yeah funny you noticed my cases hshaahahahaha
    noone has every said anything good eye! hahaha

kind of like "where is waldo??" where are the cd cases?:hahahahahaha
  • Options
    Empathy

i have like a pix and cisco 831 and ap 1200 and the routers and 2 2950s so it took over a year to put all together..but for budget labs me personally

i recommend

1 831 series SOHO router has fast ethernet ports for Router on stick setup
    1 2950 switch
    1 2924 going for cheap to use for vlans and trunking
    if you can get 2 2950s maybe 12 ports only this is better
    i have seen issues with 2924 and 2950s
    1 2501 router

this will be decent setup and then use sims and virtual machines as nodes
    so you are looking at 350.00 or under for a small workable lable
    2 routers for routing a switch for vlans
    2500 series router do not have fast ethernent ports and some 2600s do but best to get the 831 soho i have it very nice has 12.3 IOS or 12.4 on it very nice!
    i have the access point 1200 too. actuall 1500 is for everything and that is good tome
    but i did a over kill and i have an it job so the above small 350.00 lab you can do it if you look every day on ebay! every day i mean they go fast
  • Options
    janmike

you are welcome! kind of late getting my messages; yeah my son means the world to me
    and well I am doing this work for him so he will have some inheritance. i am not like my own dad who is cheap and stingy! my son needs to see that you have to work for what you want
    but some day when i am dead hopefullly not soon ahahahah
    i can leave my son $$$$ and such to help him do great! nothing wrong with lifting up your family!
    noone does that nowadays parents leaving nothing for kids.my son is a good boy
    and well i am going to leave him some great memories and some nice $$$

that brings me to a point my grandma and grandpa never put their house in anyones name
    so the governement came right in charging 10,000 a month in old folks home and took the entire money for her house! nothing for family! holy crap was i pissed;
    you can bet my life will be different than theres! you would beleve how much money they charge for old people..holy crap! my life will be different for my son!

keep it in the family! the way i want it! and we all should some how do that!
    life would be alittle easier. but i feel the pain of working and finishing my BS degree and
    studying for certs, working and onside IT business and being a dad it is nutz but by 45 years old
    i will be set! and can slow down thank God!
    ;D
    I am blessed! ;)

but thank you for viewing
    i have plans later on to change my lab but for now it works great!
    i like to help as much as i can!
  • Options
    okay my new blog much better for future. I am creating skill-sets as categories
    for a quick review before my exam. hope to take 802 this sep 2008. yeah i am kind of milking it
    but i am also finishing my BS degree in CS and raising my 16 year old...
    but when i build my blog i will list skill-sets 1 at a time.
    itdaddy (dot) wordpress (dot) com I changed to word press cause it is nicer management interface and you can of course make your own custom header. I have listed techexams.net
    in my blogroll to promote this great site! i am doing my blog to help others but selfishly
    to make a study tool for myself and that way i pay attention in learning it well! they say
    the best way to learn it is to teach it!

;D
    cheers mates! icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    yukkyyukky Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow, you've really got IT DADDY on your license plate? The blog looks better than your old blog.
    Buying hardware for a home lab is addicting-- (Need.. more.. toys...) **(need.. more.. money)
  • Options
    CiscoCertsCiscoCerts Member Posts: 112
    Awesome, now its time to get a rack!
  • Options
    CiscoCerts

YEAH, I KNow been look at one recently good price; it is a single rack
    but for my home setup right now what you see on the blog
    is very sufficient; may look cheesy but works well right now

yeah, i use cd holders to put gaps in the router to allow air flow
    cheesy! or inventive???? i prefer innovative! and I laugh!
    it works and is solid!

what i would want the rack for is to beable to upgrade easy and move in and out
    old routers/switches but you are right that is my next project!

but i am using my new blog to study and if i can help someone out great too
    but i am trying to BLOG Study; meaning i take my time and teach it so I can learn it much better.

yukky

and yes my license plate say ITDADDY. I got my personalized license plate
    for only an extra 15.00 a year

yeah, it is funny people all the time sat it daddy vs IT Daddy and then they ask
    me "are you IT Daddy?" i say yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and laugh! hahha

my blog is not to brag or take away from this great site only a supplement
    to help out who i can and create my Blog Study technique!

good luck on your exams dudes

yeah it is much better i have been brainstorming how i can make it more useful!
    categories are skill-sets that are on the exam vs all over the place.!!! i want to be helpful
    not have a bunch of crap all over the place.

Word press dot com is a much better blog sight alows creation of own header
    and way easier and much more functional!

i take my exam again in Sep 2008 this year. taking longer cause working on my BS in Computers Science at the same time. I will reach my goals in time! ;D