Options

Someone please help me with this contradicting question

jambojimjambojim Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Please look at this question found on this very website:
I am confused as some of you may well be after reading this question....or not depending on whether you yourselves think this question makes perfect sense or not.?

9. You are the domain administrator for your company. All client computers run Windows XP Professional and are members of a single Windows 2003 domain. One of the users, Julia, created a shared folder on her computer and asks you to set the permissions. She wants everyone in the Sales department to be able to do everything except changing permissions for the shared folder. Nobody else in the company should be granted access of any kind. She wants to maintain Full Control over the shared folder's permission settings.

How should you assign the permissions? (Choose 3.)

a. Remove Everyone from the share permissions.
b. Assign the share permission Full Control to the Sales group.
c. Assign the share permission Change to the Sales group.
d. Assign Full Control share permissions to Julia.
e. Deny the share permission Full Control to the Sales group.
f. Deny the share permission Full Control to Everyone.
g. Assign the NTFS permission Modify to the Sales group.

Answer(s): a. Remove Everyone from the share permissions.
Your Answer(s):

b. Assign the share permission Full Control to the Sales group.

Explanation:
When a new shared folder is created, the built-in group Everyone is automatically assigned Read permissions so you have to remove it. If you deny Full Control to Everyone, nobody will be able to access the folder. You also need to assign the share permission Change and NTFS permission Modify to the Sales group, which will allow them to read, write, modify, and execute files, without being able to change permissions for the shared folder. Because Julia is the creator of the folder, and accesses the folder locally instead of thru a share, you don't need to assign explicit permissions to Julia.

Comments

• Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    answer A states to remove everyone group from the share permission, not deny.
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    manny355manny355 Member Posts: 134
    i'm not sure if your question is why the answers were correct but i'll take a stab at it.

a. Remove Everyone from the share permissions. (as stated she only wants certain people to be able to access the folder)

b. Assign the share permission Full Control to the Sales group. (she doesn't want those who access the folder to be able to change permissions...whether they access the folder locally or remotely. Full Control allows users the ability to change permissions.)

c. Assign the share permission Change to the Sales group. (she wants those who access the folder to be able to do everything but change permissions)

d. Assign Full Control share permissions to Julia. (as the creator of the folder she automatically has access and does not need to be given access.)

e. Deny the share permission Full Control to the Sales group. (denying in this instance prevents access to the folder from this group and anyone in this group)

f. Deny the share permission Full Control to Everyone. (denying in this instance prevents access to anyone)

g. Assign the NTFS permission Modify to the Sales group. (this allows the sales group to access the folder and do everything besides change permission)

Hopefully I got this correct and that you can put together the reason why the answer was

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The answer is correct. What part are you having a problem with?
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It looks like you are wondering why "C" is correct and not your choice of "B".

I believe this is a case where the answer "C" is just better than, "B".

If you did assign Full Control on the share permissions and "Modify" on the NTFS permissions, the end result would be the same for members of the Sales group as they would be had you assigned "Change" and "Modify".

Close call on this one, but I have to agree that a,c, and g are correct.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    It looks like you are wondering why "C" is correct and not your choice of "B".

I believe this is a case where the answer "C" is just better than, "B".

If you did assign Full Control on the share permissions and "Modify" on the NTFS permissions, the end result would be the same for members of the Sales group as they would be had you assigned "Change" and "Modify".

Close call on this one, but I have to agree that a,c, and g are correct.

That's funny. I was just going to go back and elaborate. Oh well. Saved me the trouble :D

These are the types of questions you will get on the exam, so you do need to really scrutinize your options. While multiple answers will often achieve the desired results, one option will likely be better than the others. In this case, there's no reason for them to have full control instead of change. Assigning more permissions than required is never a good idea.
  • Options
    jpnelsonjpnelson Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A change permission does not allow you to change permissions:

Change
    Change permission allows all Read permissions, plus:

Adding files and subfolders
    Changing data in files
    Deleting subfolders and files

Full Control
    Full Control is the default permission that is applied to any new shares that you create. This permission is assigned to the Everyone group when you share a resource. Full Control allows all Read and Change permissions, plus:

Changing permissions (NTFS files and folders only)
    Taking ownership (NTFS files and folders only)