Options

Tech tools Software/Hardware

eqtitaneqtitan Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm just trying to get an idea of the types of software/hardware that is available to use for all of the A+ types out there. Please feel free to add anything I have not added.

So, what do you use as a Technician?

Data recovery?

Testing -
PSU?
Motherboard?
CPU?
RAM?
Hard drives?
Optical drives?

Virus/Spyware/Malware/Hackware removal?

Billing?

How do you charge customers? Friends? Family?
WIP : A+

Comments

• Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    you might want to consider buying a motherboard diagnostic card (some call it POST tester. ) :)
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    memtest86 is okay for testing RAM.

I like hijackthis as a first step of malware identification.

PSU ---->I like to bite the wires to test that. icon_eek.gif
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use a multimeter to test PSUs and laptop adapters.
    Highly recommend the LiveCD, UBCD.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    iowatechiowatech Member Posts: 120
    I use test-desk for data recovery, it's a rather crude command driven utility but works well.
  • Options
    plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    I purchased Acronis TrueImage 10 and DiskDirector 10.

Once both are installed, I can make a bootable CD which boots into a menu allowing you to start either program. No need to carry 2 CDs - just the one.

This is great for HDD imaging/cloning as well as partitioning and wiping drives clean. You can also restore partitions accidentally deleted.

It's supposed to boot off a USB key as well with some extra effort but I have not bothered.
  • Options
    mcmastermcmaster Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Data Recovery - WindowsPE is a very handy tool for windows xp and vista images. Works with server 2003/2008 as well. Command line like DOS but with DISKPART (can resize NTFS partitions) and full Network and Active Directory secondary login support. Can be made into bootable CD or USB flash drive.

Norton Ghost and Acronis are good imaging software as well but not free

Live CDs for many Linux Distros are nice to have.

PSU - There's little adapters that can plug right onto the end of the 20/24 pin connector that has green or red lights. Any red lights and the cable/PSU is shot. Voltage meters always work.

Motherboard - Eyes, if capacitors are bulging or fried. Phantom issues can be the motherboard. "You've taken everything else out and replaced it and its still freaking out, must be the motherboard if not the user"

CPU - ? Dunno. it works or it doesn't?

RAM? Memtest86!

Harddrives! the individual manufacturers bootable Diagnostic tools. UBCD Live CD has all of them on it. As well as Memtest86 i believe.

Optical Drives - don't know. Can't read a know good disk, doesnt burn good disk even at quarter speed with verification, replace it.

Spyware/Malware removal: Lavasoft Adware and Spybot Search and Destroy are good.

Virus removal: just have some sort of Antivirus installed. If your trying to nail a specific virus and know its name, databases such as Symantecs site can be searched for specific tools for removing a specific virus.

In middle and high school when i fixed or built computers for people, not necessarily friends i always charged 25 bucks an hour, out of high charge around 40-50, and if you start supporting lets say a business 50+. And thats being lenient. Friends and family though, its cool to offer free support but if its something that will take hours of your time, consider charging them some, or getting them to by you lunch or take you out to the movies etc.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You know, this is something A+ need to be more in tune with...

Recovery - OnTrack and a Kenmore freezer
    PSU - power supply tester
    Motherboard - reset bios battery and strip is down, visual inspection and Eurosoft PC Check
    CPU - Eurosoft PC Check
    RAM - Mem86
    Hard drives - DFT, Pc Check or what ever comes on the BIOS.
    Optical drives - PC Check

Virus/Spyware/Malware/Hackware removal -
    Boot to BART PE run
    - CCleaner to remove temps
    - McAfee command line
    - Trend Commandline
    - Panda (old version runs fine from PE if run from writable media and have updates still!)
    - chkdisk c: /r (not really malware, but a good time to do it)
    - defrag (not really malware, but a good time to do it)
    Boot to Safe Windows Commandline
    - Hijackthis (boot to PE and manually deleted files that come back)
    - Ad-aware
    - Spybot
    - Spysweeper with antivirus
    From Regular mode
    - hijackthis
    - install a full security suite, update and run it
    - SP's and updates...

Billing
    - Don't charge my friends or family... at work we work on cost centers, $75 an hour. [/b]
    -Daniel
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Memtest
    Customized Dban disk for nuking drives
    Aida32 for drivers and a subscription to driver guide always helps
    latest Nividia and ATI drivers on cd
    Set of Torque drivers for ripping laptops apart
    A screwdriver that supports the compact screw type is also essential
    To test hard drives I run badblocks test which can be run from Finnix
    Mobile Phone with 3G support for accessing internet when no connection is available i.e locating motherboard manuals finding out pinouts etc,
    Ubuntu Live CD for checking out Windows stability and boot up issues.
    Cable tester for testing Cat 5 cables and Patch ports,
    Punch down tool.
    Multitool and Cable ties come in handy when dealing with builds
    Artic Silver paste for Heatsinks
    Can of compressed air for removing dust balls from components and resolving overheating issues,
    Ultimate Boot CD for recovering windows Passwords,
    Stress Test is also a good way of pushing the system to it's limits and seeing if any issues occur.
    Rock XP for recovering XP liscense keys.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    Nik00117Nik00117 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    PSU? PSU tester, or a paper clip (both work PSU tester gives you details paper clip tells you if it even turns on)
    Motherboard? My 2 very trusty eyes, i like to rip out the bios battery with a big hammer, i mean plyers if it isn't work
    CPU? Bent pins? Depends on how bad sometimes teezers, a thin plastic sheet if its bad, if its all jacked up I perfer the trashcan and a nice beer to get over the fact that i just lost a CPU
    RAM? memtest, and various other programs on hirenboot cd
    Hard drives? I use hiren boot cd to test this
    Optical drives? if it don't work, buy a new one. things are so cheap its not even worth troubleshooting unless its uber high end. But i've never had a uber high end

I like hiren's boot cd.
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use a multimeter when testing PSUs. The Power supply testers are nice and easy to use, but I've been hearing that you should test the PSU when it is connected and powering on the PC for a more accurate reading.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    We have one or two threads with all this listed. Try 'Search' as there are already some great comments made.

Not to say new tools haven't been added into the mix since then....

(I'll see if I have time to search and post the link here.... icon_confused.gif )
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?