Options

How is this exam

For those of you that have taken this, how is it? i Just ordered a CWNA book. Hoping to tackle that after CCNA next month.
Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    The CWNA is a well-written exam that closely follows the CWNA Study Guide. The Sybex CWNA study guide is also an excellent source of study material. The more hands-on experience you have with 802.11 networking the better your chances of passing the CWNA exam on your first attempt will be.
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    JDMurray wrote:
    The CWNA is a well-written exam that closely follows the CWNA Study Guide. The Sybex CWNA study guide is also an excellent source of study material. The more hands-on experience you have with 802.11 networking the better your chances of passing the CWNA exam on your first attempt will be.
    any suggestions for getting such experience? i've been considering picking up another wireless router (probably a soho like my linksys wrt-54g unless someone has a better suggestion)

• Options
    Having experience configuring one or more of the inexpensive wireless routers is good, as is configuring several different wireless NICs as well. Just figuring out why a wireless client isn't communicating with an access point is a major skill in itself. To do so, you not only need an understanding of TCP/IP networking, but also of all the security mechanisms used on 802.11 networks. Understand the basic protocol handshake and the different types of authentication. And there are plenty of amateur radio sites that can give you more information on RF math and hardware than you'll ever need.
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    JDMurray wrote:
    ust figuring out why a wireless client isn't communicating with an access point is a major skill in itself.
    Specially with windows.... "Cannot connect to wireless network. please contact your administrator" lol.

• Options
    One hint: if a wireless client device comes with its own software, install and use that to control the device rather than rely on Window's native wireless configuration tools. In fact, I always disable Windows XP's Wireless Zero Configuration service, which is always running regardless if any wireless devices are installed or not.
  • Options
    vanshieldvanshield Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    JDMurray wrote:
    any suggestions for getting such experience? i've been considering picking up another wireless router (probably a soho like my linksys wrt-54g unless someone has a better suggestion)

I'm planning to take the CWNA certification exam this coming June. I just got the CWNA Official Study Guide (Exam PW0-100) 2nd Edition, but what I want is the fourth edition..Is there any site in which we can buy it on a cheap price or even better for free?
  • Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    vanshield wrote:
    I'm planning to take the CWNA certification exam this coming June. I just got the CWNA Official Study Guide (Exam PW0-100) 2nd Edition, but what I want is the fourth edition..Is there any site in which we can buy it on a cheap price or even better for free?
    How about you read the book that you have, not fretting that its only the second edition. Then if you feel you really need the fourth edition you sell the second edition and buy the fourth edition. Paying the difference?
  • Options
    I would really recommend having the latest edition edition of any cert exam's official study guide. There have been quite a few significant changes in the CWNA exam between the 2nd and 4th editions.
  • Options
    CherperCherper Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The changes between 2nd and 4th editions of the book and the test are pretty big. I would tell you it is worth it to get it. Check Half.com or Bookpool.com for cheaper copies. You could get it for up to 40% off, so it isn't too bad.
    Studying and Reading:

Whatever strikes my fancy...