Options

Linux Server!

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Heya guys I have been toying with linux the last year or so and I am keen to get on board the whole tinkering scene I am most interested in implementing Linux into my home setup and would like to setup a file server it's purpose will allow me to view media from different locations in my house.

I am looking at using Debian and was wandering if any of you guys have had any experience with Linux if so I would be really grateful if you could provide me with a step by step tutorial on the subject of file servers with Linux / Debian.

As the majority of Linux resources I have read have been pretty high level reading I would appreciate if the difficulty of the reading material would be kept to a mimium as diving in the deep end with config files goes straight over my head lol.

Many Thanks!
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ally_uk wrote:
    diving in the deep end with config files goes straight over my head lol.

The problem is that is exactly what you need (config files). If you're going to link to Windows clients then use Samba, it's a bit odd at first but the config files themselves are mostly text versions of the type of options you would set in the Windows GUI for Workgroups/Sharenames etc.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It has been a long while since I have done something like this but like Ahriakin said you will have to install samba and configure the samba.conf file. Here is a link on how to do some of this on Ubuntu 7.10 server edition (which is debian based).

https://help.ubuntu.com/7.10/server/C/configuring-samba.html
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2