Options

How much should I charge ?

nashutzunashutzu Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
The situation stays like that. This company has around 17 computers 3 network printers + 7 to 10 voip phones. How much should I charge them to setup the computers, do the network design, install the router + switch configure them .without cabling cuz cabling there is already done, filesharing , print sharing and i am not sure if I will go for:
a) workgroup network design or
b) domain on 2003 server.
but please let me know how much should i charge this company for both a) and b) cases. They have money and are located in Toronto, ON. Canada.

Thank you very much

Comments

• Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    I think you should figure out how many hours it will take, and charge them by the hour. The domain route would obviously take a little longer, so just factor that in.

As for hourly rate, its up to you. Anywhere from $50-100 sounds about right for that area.
  • Options
    iowatechiowatech Member Posts: 120
    Play your cards right and try to get a monthly contract to where you come back a couple times a month and check anti-virus / and back up Active Directory and any user data they may have.

Offer some package deal saying, I'll set this up for X amount of dollars which figures to X amount per hour. As far as charges per hour goes the poster above hit the nail on the head.

Or offer them the option of saving some money and do the initial setup cheaper and pay you X amount per month to service the network. And what better person for the job than the man who set it up?

Businesses love to be able to know exactly what they are going to be paying for each year and what better way than to write off a monthly bill for IT and know exactly where they stand budget wise (minus any catastrophic failures).

Done this a number of time for customers and it works like a charm, you help them and it gives you stable income.

Goodluck sir!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would charge no less than 100 Billion Dollars!

Nah, just try to get a maintenance contract out of them.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    nashutzunashutzu Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    how much should i charge them for a maintanance contract every month ? i know it really depends on how many times per month you go there and how long it takes.. but you guys never charge flat rates ? you charge by the hour ?
  • Options
    iowatechiowatech Member Posts: 120
    Figure out how long its going to take you to do the tasks you want to do, add an hour or two for padding. Take that figure and multiply it by an hourly rate. Since they are giving you guaranteed income you could knock 10 bucks an hour off the top of the normal rate (whatever you choose) to make it more appealing and feel as if they are getting a good deal. Which in reality you both are.

Your demographic region determines the hourly rate. People call me nuts for charging 30/hr however I'm the first person people call in my region and it generates alot more business than charging 75/hr and only getting a few calls. Word of mouth travels fast around here though and makes or breaks a business.

but you guys never charge flat rates ? you charge by the hour ?

(Home Users/SOHOs get charged an hourly rate + mileage .48/cents per mile)[
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi

If you go down the route of supporting the PC's charging an hourly rate then you may never get a call from them. The PC's may run sweet for the next 3 years so how would this give you an income.

Fast way to make a few bucks, Charge them a price per PC that covers all setup and installation of equipment plus 12 months support cost rolled in. With option of having your support for year 2 for a seperate price as and when the 12 months are up.

I dont have a guess at how much you should charge but this way seems easier as they only pay you once and then they have your service for 12 months.

Lee H