Options

MCDST or MCTS?

ittechprittechpr Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Should I study for the 70-271 and 70-272 exams or the 70-620 exam?

I am currently studying for the 70-271 exams.

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    You'd probably get a btter core understanding of XP going for 271 & 272. It's also more of an entry level cert...having MCTS and no experiecne will look shady......
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    Unless I'm mistaken, the MCDST is intended to test on XP support topics, whereas the MCTS is Vista support. Unless you are specifically targeting an employer who has Vista, the MCDST will be much more valuable.
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
  • Options
    Scott316xScott316x Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would think MCTS would be better in my opinion. My reasoning is Vista is so much like XP and plus some aditional things. It would be good to get the Vista cert to be ahead of the curve. Because sooner or later companies will begin to realize that vista is here to stay (when it becomes more stable). All new OS's go threw a phase where the kinks need to be straightened out. In my opinion if your Vista certified then you know XP.
    do not go where the path may lead....go elsewhere and leave a trail
  • Options
    KrankKrank Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Scott316x wrote:
    I would think MCTS would be better in my opinion. My reasoning is Vista is so much like XP and plus some aditional things. It would be good to get the Vista cert to be ahead of the curve. Because sooner or later companies will begin to realize that vista is here to stay (when it becomes more stable). All new OS's go threw a phase where the kinks need to be straightened out. In my opinion if your Vista certified then you know XP.

I don't agree entirely with you. Despite Vista "is the future", some things are located differently than they used to be in XP (programs, files, options, tabs, etc.), as some others changed their name or simply are not there at all. I'd suggest to first go for the MCDST certification and then sit for Vista.
    Believe me, I'm doing it that way and I feel more confortable with the knowledge and experience I get. Besides your knowledge would be more complete and extensive.
  • Options
    johnw02johnw02 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Why not get your MCDST and then do the 621 upgrade? icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    Magnum2544Magnum2544 Member Posts: 103
    Why not get your MCDST and then do the 621 upgrade?

That sounds like the best plan because you get your core understanding of XP, then you upgrade to Vista. It's called a Microsoft Certified Enterprise Desktop Support Technician.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Ricka182 wrote:
    You'd probably get a btter core understanding of XP going for 271 & 272. It's also more of an entry level cert...having MCTS and no experiecne will look shady......
    I dont know how you can say that. That's just like saying if you are MCP 70-270 with no exp you're suspect.

I would do whatever you job (or prospective job) would like to see. If you dont have any preferences, DST is probably better given that it wont expire in 3 years.