Options

vmware connectivity issues

livenliven Member Posts: 918
Ok, trying to setup a virtual machine to do some testing/work.

I am trying to install Solaris 10, which I have done before, but now I am having issues with the virtual network performance.

I am trying to install an image from a flar...

Anyway I am ftping the image from my laptop to a vm instance running on the same machine. The real device and virutal machine can talk to each other. The communication works fine until I start ftping the flar from the laptopt to the virtual machine.

Every 1 minute or so I have to disable and re-enable the virtual NIC to get data flowing between the two devices again...

I have tried all different network configurations... Currently I am bridging the virtual nic with the real nic.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks!
encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you having a problem with auto negotiation?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    I may be imagining this but doesnt one of the VMTools / VM Additions allow drag and drop between the host and virtual machine?

Will have to check this...... As it maybe VirtualPC.

Cant you just map to the share and copy it over? The could be done to check if its a FTP problem.

Didnt read it correctly, as for installing the OS who not convert it to an ISO image and mount it for the virtual machine?
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    Sie wrote:
    I may be imagining this but doesnt one of the VMTools / VM Additions allow drag and drop between the host and virtual machine?

Will have to check this...... As it maybe VirtualPC.

Cant you just map to the share and copy it over? The could be done to check if its a FTP problem.

Didnt read it correctly, as for installing the OS who not convert it to an ISO image and mount it for the virtual machine?

These are not viable options because when installing Solaris 10 from a flar you have to point the installation app at a HTTP, or FTP server. THe install starts from an ISO, then when you get to a certain point you can install an image from one of the for mentioned servers. This does two things, gives you an exact install mirroring a prior install, and saves a lot of time. Drag and drop may work on other O.S's but since I do not have a gui on my solaris installation it will probably not work here. Like I stated before, these issues are happening prior the O.S. being fully installed. And i have used the image/flar on several other NON vmware installations. It works flawlessly when it is not in a vmware setup, which leads me to believe that it is something to do with vmware.
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:
    Are you having a problem with auto negotiation?

This could be a possibility, however since the operating system is not fully installed I can't really check how the virtual network card on the virtual host is configured. I have had the best luck with a bridged configuration and as far as I know negotiation is not an issue there (don't think I can change that on a bridged setup).

Not really sure how to test this, but I am still investigating. Will post a solution if one presents its self.