Options

getting tense - PASSED!

bojo387bojo387 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'll be taking the exam on the 26th... yeah, right after the holiday.

I've used MS Press and Sybex as well as the Transcender practice exams. Just through reading the forum though, I am getting tense finding out others have failed at least twice and even thrice. Is it really that difficult? icon_rolleyes.gif What should I be careful for as far as the exam is concerned? I have read suggestions on making sure to understand what the question is asking. I think the practice exams help train in that aspect.

Oh well, I will give it my best and I don't hope to use the second shot offer so I'd be motivated to pass it on the first try as well as use what I've learned in actual situations.

Merry Christmas to all!

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    People only fail it usually because it's their first Microsoft exam and it's a shift in exam structure when finishing up their Comptia exams. 70-270 is not really difficult, just make sure you understand all the objectives in the exam, do some Transcenders after you feel you are fully prepared, and then nail the exam. Good luck. :)
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I passed the first try with the exact same resources you used. If you have mastered the all of that material, I'm sure you will do fine. If you haven't, I hope you can sneak away over the holiday to study up ;) It's really not that bad. I know a lot of people, including myself, thought that it will be easy since we use XP on a daily basis. However, most of us do not do mass deployment and other such tasks on a regular basis. As long as you've taken the time to brush up on those less used areas, you'll do fine.
  • Options
    Thanks. I guess I have to relax myself first and keep my focus.

@royal, your signature is a good line to follow. attitude+ability

@dynamik, you are right in saying that there is a big difference in the mass deployment and other maintenance task experience. I have been working with XP since it came out yet I have not gotten any experience from the unattended install to RIS so hopefully reading enough has helped me in those aspects.

I will post whatever result I get after the exam. Oh and by the way, I also used the materials from TechExams which are abso-friggin-lutely helpful.
  • Options
    Well, I'm not proud of how I performed in the exam but I am glad to have passed. :D I got a 778 which tells me for the next exams I take, I'd have to improve how I study. I crammed just before the exam a while ago but I guess a first timer would always have the jitters. I absolutely used the mark for review option to the point of exhaustion I think lol icon_lol.gif

The Sybex chapter questions helped a lot as well as the online exam on this site.

Thank you all for your support. Now I am actually thinking what to do next...
  • Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    congrats bojo! :)
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    congrats bojo! :)

Thanks!
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Goos stuff bojo
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    RussS wrote:
    Goos stuff bojo

Thanks RussS.

So guys, would it be a good idea to jump into 290 immediately? (Or should I post this in the 290 forum? icon_lol.gif) Though I am also leaning towards CCNA since I took 270 as my break-in so to speak.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bojo387 wrote:
    RussS wrote:
    Goos stuff bojo

Thanks RussS.

So guys, would it be a good idea to jump into 290 immediately? (Or should I post this in the 290 forum? icon_lol.gif) Though I am also leaning towards CCNA since I took 270 as my break-in so to speak.

There are quite a few things that overlap onto the 290 so I would go toward that.

Honestly I personally hate studying for dual certifications. I would stick with the MCSE (or whatever your goal was) then go to the CCNA. But that is all personal preference.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd say go for 290 as well. It's essentially the server version of 270, and as Mishra said, there is a decent amount of overlap. Sticking with one vendor at a time can be good since you get used to the way the questions are phrased and the material in general. It can get a bit boring though. If you are going to mix a CCNA in with your MS studies, I'd do it around the time you work on 291 since subjects such as subnetting will be covered by both.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    I'd say go for 290 as well. It's essentially the server version of 270, and as Mishra said, there is a decent amount of overlap. Sticking with one vendor at a time can be good since you get used to the way the questions are phrased and the material in general. It can get a bit boring though. If you are going to mix a CCNA in with your MS studies, I'd do it around the time you work on 291 since subjects such as subnetting will be covered by both.

congrats on the pass!

I fully agree with dynamiik and mishra. I went to comptia exams after my 270 exam. I took two of thier exams, and now studying for 290. Im starting to regret it, because I need to get back into the 'flow' of things. Hard to explain, but youre better off sticking with one vendor at a time, if at all possible.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    Thanks all! I'll be moving forward to 290 and follow your advice of sticking to one vendor for now. Hopefully I get to be MCSA or even MCSE within the year.

You and the forum have been great help. :D