Need a bit of advice..

johnw02johnw02 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm not sure if I should keep pursuing my MCSA or put it on hold and start preparing for the CCNA. I'm a Junior student majoring Network Management and I've taken 6 classes so far that involve Cisco hands-on labs. We have been using Cisco Press books in these classes, and the lab is available to me whenever I need it. For this reason, the CCNA seems like the most logical choice. I'm also on a limited income right now, so I would rather take the single exam, but is that a good decision? Should I prepare with anything else besides the Cisco Press books and the school lab?

Any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• dax_kundax_kun Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CCNA is better than MS, its just that you might encounter some problems that a MCSA would know. I was in the same situation as you before but decided to finish MCSA instead because my work deals more on it. I'm one test away in finishing it now. In my opinion, assess which one would help you more in your chosen field. You can also take the other one once you have finished whats important. Having a lab would definitely help you a lot in passing the exam. Also, practice, practice and practice makes perfect :D
  • remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    I think it really depends on what you want to specialize in. Do you want to do more windows administration work or more networking things. I would say do a primary and secondary. If you like networking more focus most of your time to Cisco certs and then do Microsoft things on the side. For instance, 5 days a week study Cisco, 2 days or even 1 day study Microsoft, then when you accomplish getting your Cisco cert shift the Microsoft to your primary then make another thing your secondary such as learning Linux. That way you become more well rounded.
  • iowatechiowatech Member Posts: 120
    I'm a Junior student majoring Network Management and I've taken 6 classes so far that involve Cisco hands-on labs. We have been using Cisco Press books in these classes, and the lab is available to me whenever I need it.

For this reason alone just get the CCNA out of the way while you have the golden opportunity.

Goodluck sir,
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would get the CCNA while your school material overlaps with cisco material. That way you are getting in class traning that will answer a lot of questions that could be left unanswered during self-study. Get the most bang for your buck by picking up certs and a degree at the same time. Thats what I try to do. You can always go back and start MS certs again, but you will not always have this school material that will overlap with Cisco.

Cisco Press Books and a school lab will be great. You can't get much better than cisco press and real gear. Stay on that gear all the time and turn in to a router nerd and you will pass.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i agree with the other posts, get the ccna out of the way.

before i moved uni's i was also doing the ccna academy/mcsa tacks. ive sinced moved uni because ive moved area and now i wish i concentrated on my ccna instead of my mcsa. at the time it was the right decision to go with the mcsa due to work but (once ive got my bsc degree done with) im going to crack on with the ccna and start the material again. you can pick up the MS stuff alot easier than the opportunity you have with playing with the cisco stuff.

When i was doing the ccna academy i wasnt too far away from being ready for the exam but ive since let that slip and will def have to start over with most things, so dont let it happen to you!

i just hope i can pull the ccna off! :)
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking