Options

WiTricity

SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
What does this have in store for the future? Wireless connectivity and wireless power?

Imagine what could be achieved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiTricity
WiTricity, a portmanteau for wireless electricity, is a term coined initially by Dave Gerding in 2005 and used by a MIT research team led by Prof. Marin Soljačić in 2007, to describe the ability to provide electrical energy to remote objects without wires

(Sorry if i bored you I just found it interesting and thought I would share!)
Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools

Comments

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I posted something similar 4 months ago about it. It didn't get much interest though. But ya it is very cool.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26131
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I personally think it'll play a pretty big role in the future. That with Ultra-Wideband which is a technology that can stream high-definition video/audio over a short distance. So when cable providers start providing tv over the internet, you can have high-speed internet and hdtv streaming through your internet router to a wi-fi ready tv. That with wi-fi power and you have a completely wireless tv. I cannot wait for this technology to be mainstream and widely adopted.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Sorry Netstudent I must have missed your post.

I was just sat there imagining what could be powered (obviously once the technology had been resource to such a level) is it too far fetched to think Electric Cars powered remotely??
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    Sie wrote:
    Sorry Netstudent I must have missed your post.

I was just sat there imagining what could be powered (obviously once the technology had been resource to such a level) is it too far fetched to think Electric Cars powered remotely??

oh no need to apologize. I just posted it in case you wanted another read. Royal, thats sounds very interesting. It's crazy to imagine what kinds of technologies will arise in the future.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Netstudent wrote:
    It's crazy to imagine what kinds of technologies will arise in the future.

This is unrelated, but since you're talking about cool technologies, check out what this guy is doing with the Wii: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/

He's a genius. I can't wait until stuff like this actually starts appearing in retail.
  • Options
    WHOA! Thats pretty neat. Very clever.

I wonder how compatible the source code is for that directX grid. I would like to see someone like JDmurray try this out.

Ya that guy is very smart. Notice he is from Carnegie Mellon.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I like the "Managed Library for Nintendo's Wiimote" walkthrough. It shows how to create a .NET application that responds to the Wiimote without needing a Wii. You should be able to get a new Wiimote and charger on eBay for around $50US. You also need a Bluetooth adapter to communicate with the Wiimote.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I doubt that I will see them working in my life time.... Maybe work in lab or Research center, but definitely not on public.

Remember how long it will take for us (U.S) to adapt new technology... Blue ray, HDTV, 3G just arrived in here, while it had been out for many years in both Asia and Europe.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Kasor wrote:
    I doubt that I will see them working in my life time.... Maybe work in lab or Research center, but definitely not on public.

Remember how long it will take for us (U.S) to adapt new technology... Blue ray, HDTV, 3G just arrived in here, while it had been out for many years in both Asia and Europe.

A lot of that has to do with population density. The size of Japan is approximately 4% of the US, but it has about 42% of our population (via Wikipedia). It's much easier to do things like run fiber a mile when you have thousands of people supporting it, instead of just a few hundred.