Options

RECOMMENDED BOOK?

TURTLEGIRLTURTLEGIRL Member Posts: 361
I have ebooks on the CEH, but I'd rather have it in real book form. What's the ideal book for the first time study on CEH? I like all the Sybex books but I don't think they do CEH.
If you don't know 24 then you don't know Jack!

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The ExamPrep is very good and covers the latest (V5) exam:

Certified Ethical Hacker Exam Prep (Exam Prep 2 (Que Publishing)

or this one, but I don't have it so cannot comment on the content:

The CEH Prep Guide: The Comprehensive Guide to Certified Ethical Hacking (Hardcover)
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Those are the only two books for actually teaching the material I've come across as well.

Sybex makes the Official Review Guide, but this is not going to teach you everything. It'd probably still be a good idea to run through it before you take the exam though.

CBT Nuggets and Preplogic also have CEH material available if you would like other supplements.

Keep us posted on your progress. I'm itching to do this one, but the two-year expiration is a bit two short for me at this point. I think it would be expiring just as I get to a point to where I can actually use it.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Sybex makes the Official Review Guide, but this is not going to teach you everything. It'd probably still be a good idea to run through it before you take the exam though.

This book is a waste of money IMO. You know how some books will have a chapter that runs 50 pages on a particular subject, and then at the end they include a 2-3 page summary of those 50 pages? This is like a book of summaries. I can't believe it got 4 stars on Amazon.
  • Options
    TURTLEGIRLTURTLEGIRL Member Posts: 361
    Just wanted to know recommended books for the CEH that people have actually used.
    If you don't know 24 then you don't know Jack!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    This book is a waste of money IMO. You know how some books will have a chapter that runs 50 pages on a particular subject, and then at the end they include a 2-3 page summary of those 50 pages? This is like a book of summaries. I can't believe it got 4 stars on Amazon.

Thanks for the heads-up. I was going to pick this up because of the fairly good reviews.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up. I was going to pick this up because of the fairly good reviews.

Your welcome. The Exam Prep is very good - I would recommend it to anyone.
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Obviously the best books would be the official books, but they are quiet pricey. You do get all the lab cd's and tools you'll need to practice with.

Exam Prep is a pretty good parallel to the official books as far as concepts go.

Just a little tip to everyone wanting to take this exam. Make sure you not only know the tools, but make sure you can also look at logs and decipher what happened. Again, version 5 of the exam was a VERY significant change.
  • Options
    bulldogslobberbulldogslobber Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the CEH course and had Michael Gregg as my instructor. The same guy that has written the Que book. He also has written 12 other books. I haven't taken the test yet but this guy knows his stuff. This book goes along with the course material in class.

Jim
  • Options
    AHughes78AHughes78 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been studying the CEH book by Kimberly Graves (offical EC-Council Review Guide) and Steal this Computer Book 4.0. Most of the material i know, I am starting to use the tools in the "Steal this book", Do you think that i need to study something else?