job with CP cert

elvantelvant Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm getting an job offer from a firewall reseller. They will provide training and exam fees for the CheckPoint cert but I have to bound in the job for 1 year (with a small increment in salary after getting certified). How you guys think about it?
What is done is done, what yet to be done will be done. While in the process of doing, enjoy it.

Comments

• SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    what are you currently doing in IT??

and where do you wanna go??

it will get you some sales experience which will really not equate to much if you want to work as and admin or infrastructure guy.

but it will give you a year of employment a paid cert and possibly a chance to make some contacts in the industry

it is only a year that your there fore if you decide ot move on so unless you hve a better option i say give it a shot
  • elvantelvant Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply.
    The position of the job is Technical support and not a sales rep as you may thought (sorry for not clearify that).
    The problem is I never thought of getting a CP cert (actually is not knowing about the cert, forgive my ignorant) I not sure how this CP cert get into the market value. Employers usually looking for CCNA and MCSE instead. Only a handful of them list a requirement for candidate with CP cert.

My plan to focus on networking and server (perhaps in the security side). I'm working on MCSE:security currently.

Will this CP cert give a good prospect to me?
    What is done is done, what yet to be done will be done. While in the process of doing, enjoy it.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Take the job, get the cert and learn as much as you possibly can about checkpoint firewalls. Learn another vendor on the side like PIX or Netscreen for example. Keep at the cisco studies as well. Sounds like an opportunity to me. Firewall skills are always in demand, you will get 24/7 access to them and be encouraged on works time to learn about them in depth. You will find many admins do not have access to corporate firewalls. This will be a big plus for you in a years time if you want to look for another job or contracting. Incidently firewall contracting work pays well. You find that working for a reseller for a year will impress agents, it shows that you can handle a position where you are entrusted with network security.

The only downside is the work can be pressurised and risky. You will have to work very hard to make your mark in this area as dummies are not tolerated when it comes to firewall work.

Good luck.
    Thanks Turgon, Your opinion sure put me in a clearer situation.
    The only downside is the work can be pressurised and risky

I think this is one of the reason that hold me from getting the offer, but pressure and pay always go together.
  • MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    In my experience, Checkpoint certs are the most sought after in the firewall field. Maybe it has something to do with Checkpoint being the most widespread in the world. Allas, it's worth having on your resume :)

Good luck in your new job icon_cool.gif
    Thanks, I had sign the offer, would start working in a month. icon_wink.gif
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    elvant wrote:
    Thanks, I had sign the offer, would start working in a month. icon_wink.gif

Congrats!
  • IonCannonIonCannon Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This coming from someone who has worked with primarily firewalls for over 12 years for DoD and various agencies...Checkpoint is almost entirely commercial based and is GREAT to know as is PIX. Checkpoint is often not used in the US for Govt security because it was developed by a foreign country (Israel I believe). Most Government agencies also require layer 7 EAL-4 level proxies; so if you can also get experience with these type firewalls you will be very marketable especially in the DC area.....but working commercially, you cant go wrong with Checkpoint and PIX knowledge.