Options

70-620 - Study materials?

bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
Firstly, Happy New year to all!

Well, it's back to work soon and after far too many mince pies and too much beer it's time to crack on with the next exam. Even though I've got a valid client exam for the MCSA I've decided to take 70-620 next as hopefully it'll be a bit easier than delving straight into 70-291 plus I need that on the 2008 MCITP:EA track in the future. After sitting on my XBOX360 and Wii for the last 2 weeks I need to break myself back in gently and don't fancy the horrors of 70-291 just yet :)

I've read through various posts in the forum and have just ordered the MS Press book and will read throught the tips on this site, but is there any other advise on this one or recommended study materials? I've got Vista Ultimate and have been using it for quite a while now.

Many thanks.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• Options
    jay754jay754 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Bertieb
    I just started into 620 study too and am using the Meyers Passport and Trainsignal videos plus some other notes from forums.
    I'd seen mixed reviews on the MS book (covers too much for the 620 apparently cos it's got material for 622 in there too) so I went for the cheapest book. My biggest problem is getting the hands on experience needed , but I'm hoping to get a new pc in a week or so with Ultimate on there.

Good luck with your studies!
    Jay
  • Options
    tlpwwxtlpwwx Inactive Imported Users Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Does anybody have experience with the Thompson Course Technology MCTS Guide to Microsoft Windows Vista and the TestPrep Resources practice exams 070-620? We used this book for a client/server class I took and it was not popular among class mates.
    I may be mistaken, but there seem to be questions on the TestPrep which are not in the book. The funniest example of this is a question about connecting an XBox 360 and what are required settings in device manager or something to do with external devices.
    I admit to being a somewhat of a novice. But, I do know how to read and use an index. This is covered nowhere in the book that I can find.
    Are the practice tests from TechExams any better?
    Can anybody suggest other study materials and sample exams, please?
    "ad astra per alia porci" ( To the moon on the wings of a pig)-John Steinbeck
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's very unlikely that you'll be able to get all your information from one resource. I try to use 2-3 resources per exam. You might want to look at MS Press, Sybex, and Syngress for books; they tend to make good resources. I'm not familiar with any for this specific exam, so you might want to refer to the reviews on Amazon. CBT Nuggets is another good source if you like video training. It's nice to have something that can break up the reading a bit.
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Thanks all.

I normally use multiple resources including CBT, but I don't really want to spend too much for this client exam. I'm primarily doing it just to get back in the mood for studying and I'm a bit wary of tackling 70-291 for the next month or so....plus, It'll be handy for the MCITP:EA track in the future. I'll have a read through a friends Sybex book too before I sit it.

I've now got the MS book which is the thickest book I've had so far! However, it's an easy read and if you are seasoned pro then most things will be very simple, particularly if you've read and studied for any Win2003 exams and have some experience with Vista. I don't think this one is going to be too hard to be honest judging from the material (correct me if I am wrong!), it comes across as being entry-level stuff. Of course, I'm trying to take my time rather than rush it and get all the practises done, so hopefully I'll get it done at the end of Feb and move on to finish the MCSA.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    tlpwwxtlpwwx Inactive Imported Users Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree about relying on a single study resource, now. I will check the one you mentioned. Would appreciate any other suggetions as well.
    Thanks Again icon_cool.gif
    "ad astra per alia porci" ( To the moon on the wings of a pig)-John Steinbeck
  • Options
    StrayLight_SKStrayLight_SK Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wrote the 70-620 on Jan 11th. (Scored a 930.) I used the MS Press Training Kit and did everything the book asked me to do. (I had ZERO experience with Vista before Christmas Hollidays.) Some of the questions in the practice tests were pretty close to those on the exam.

I found the Trainsignal video really good AFTER I wrote the exam but not very helpful in studying FOR the exam.

To practice, I used two older machines from work and downloaded the 30 day trial license from MicroSoft. (I had to bump up the RAM in one of the machines to 1 gig for Ultimate.)

I found the MeasureUp practice exams helpful.

To refer to an earlier post, there were LOTS of questions on the practice tests that didn't have answers in the book. THOSE are the ones where I had to dig in and find the answers 'hands-on'. Also, with the MS Press Kit there were four 'answers/explanations' that were incorrect. (Feel free to e-mail me if you want to know more about this.
  • Options
    hannoshannos Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Also, with the MS Press Kit there were four 'answers/explanations' that were incorrect. (Feel free to e-mail me if you want to know more about this.

I noticed this with one of the questions I had yesterday in a practice. I tend to review a lot of my questions afterwards though so I wasn't too worried about it.