Options

IP KVM Security

exit12exit12 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I have a question that hopefully someone has some knowledge on.

We will be managing a few different servers from total seperate domains / networks via the same Cat 5 KVM Switch. This will be using ps2 to cat 5 cable adapters.

My question is...........Is there any sort of security risk at all by using the Cat5 KVM? One of the servers being managed is on a private network, and we can't risk any type of communication between the servers

Is there any danger of this by connecting them to the same IP KVM Switch?

Or is it actually possible to even manage servers on separate networks from same CAT 5 KVM?

I don;t have much experience with these so excuse my questions if they seem obvious!

Thank You
Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again.

Comments

• Options
    iowatechiowatech Member Posts: 120
    If you're talking about the CAT5 KVM's that just use the ethernet cable as a transfer medium for video / input then no there is no risk to using them and no data communacation can occur between servers.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The only security risk is that the KVM is another method for a person to access your servers. Don't leave servers with accounts logged in and you shouldn't have a problem. Also make sure you are putting the KVM in a location with security (data center) and its a good idea to keep a password on the KVM as well.

The KVM allows no communication between servers and is a pretty solid device.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    exit12exit12 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thats great, thanks for the info.

I'm assuming it is also possible for the KVM to be simultaneously connected to servers on total seperate networks, and domains?

WOuld this pose a problem at all?
    Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again.
  • Options
    iowatechiowatech Member Posts: 120
    Yes it's possible, and no there won't be problems.